What's new

Type Cover - skin isn't too tough

PCAnyWhere

Hey all, I have only owned my SP3 with Type Cover since November. While I do blame this squarely on the way I was using it, my type cover cover in the corner has ripped through. Just a warning that it isn't as tough as some (including me) might think.

I was on an airplane and with the small tables my aisle side arm was hanging out I was leaning my wrist/palm on the corner of the type cover and after about 2hrs I notice now (the next morning) that it has torn the cover by 2mm.

Ok so not a bad thing as I can now think about the next color type cover that I want to have. I have the dark blue one.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're going to spend another 100 just because of a 2mm tear?

I have just looked at my typecover, and noticed the exact same thing on the right hand corner. A small 2mm tear on the top, where the internals are trying to press through. I can live with it.

OP
PCAnyWhere

PCAnyWhere

I doubt that I would get one to replace it immediately; but something 'fresh' would be a new color cover should it bother my OCD enough. I did discover the thread/poll on colors.

I bet my habits with respect to the corner won't change so I would continue to rip through new ones.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Live chats not open, but I plan to ask them about this when i can. I've had mine since november, and the typecover has been used very lightly, hardly at all really. any serious typing i do with a full size keyboard, so i don't really consider this as acceptable wear and tear.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A rep has just offered me a replacement. So if your OCD kicks in, get on to them about it. Especially as the type cover appears to carry a very short warranty period.

edit: i stand corrected, i've just been told they'll do it free of charge until december 3rd

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
[QUOTE="edit: i stand corrected, i've just been told they'll do it free of charge until december 3rd

December?

interesting. did you just go to live chats for that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it surprised me as well. MS website states that warranty for the type cover expires in march this year, but think that i was falling victim to america and its darn backwards date system :p

I just went on live chat. And just like with my pen issue, there was no debate or request for proof, just s straight up we'll replace FOC until december 3rd. The rep was most helpful, shame i didn't have time to sort out my extended warranty issue with him.

Edit: Yup, it's a bizarre time frame, but MS tell me my cover has hardware warranty support until 3/12/15 (which means a 15/16 month warranty, bought the thing on the 28th august), although technical support for the type cover expires in march this year.

Last edited: