What's new

Type cover supposed to turn on Surface Pro 3?

Jordi32

I have noticed that the type cover will only sometimes bring the Surface Pro 3 back on when opened. It is unpredictable when it will. Is this normal behavior?

ctitanic

I have noticed that the type cover will only sometimes bring the Surface Pro 3 back on when opened. It is unpredictable when it will. Is this normal behavior?
If the device is in Standby yes. Keep in mind that the device goes into sort kind of hibernation after 3 hours of being on Standby and from that stage the keyboard does not turn the unit on. As far as I know. I'm not a heavy keyboard user.

malberttoo

If the device is in Standby yes. Keep in mind that the device goes into sort kind of hibernation after 3 hours of being on Standby

I think this is only on battery though? I think if it stays plugged in, it stays in Connected Standby the whole time. Or am I wrong?

Is it actually supposed to turn the screen on? When I open the keyboard the key backlight illuminates, but the SP3 screen has never come on, even if I shut it and open it right away?

OP
J

Jordi32

So far I have tried two Surface Pro 3. The screen just comes back on when opening the type cover about once every five times (even right after closing it). I got a third replacement due to multiple issues with these two. I will try it on this one but I am beginning to think it is a software bug. The strangest thing is that it won't affect every single unit.

That's odd, not one of the (4 now) SP3's I've had EVER came on when the cover was opened, but they all turned the screen off when it was closed.

OP
J

Jordi32

Rlarsen462, Microsoft store employees told me the type cover is supposed to wake up the computer every single time....

Can anyone confirm that this is normal behavior (for the screen to wake and light up when the cover is opened while the machine is in connected standby?

I have never seen it happen once on 4 different surfaces (however I've used the same type cover on each, could my cover itself be defective?)