What's new

Type cover supposed to turn on Surface Pro 3?

OP
J

Jordi32

I have been trying with the third Surface Pro 3. The type cover appears to wake up the computer only when pulled all the way before flipping it to the back of the computer. Can you try this, Rlarsen462? Please let me know if it works.

OP
J

Jordi32

Actually, I take that back. The wake up is not consistent at all. I can't predict when it will wake up or not. It appears to be random. What I have realized though is that if I touch the touchpad it will always wake up.

Flipping the cover around the back doesn't turn on the screen either. Pulling the type cover away from the screen ALWAYS makes the keyboard backlight come on, but the only thing that will wake the screen is either A) the power button B) pressing a button on the keyboard C) touching the keyboard's touchpad (or moving a connected Bluetooth mouse, I have the arc one).

OP
J

Jordi32

Yes, I may have been slightly touching the trackpad without realizing the times the screen would wake up. I don't know. I am confused now. I wish someone in this forum could confirm whether it is supposed to wake up by flipping the type cover or not.

daniielrp

It's never done it on my SP3, nor did it on my SP2, but it did with my SRT.

The explanation I got for the SP2 was that when it is in standby, there are NO parts in an ON state to be able to detect the cover being opened, as keeping something in an ON state would drain battery.
This was the opposite with the Surface RT, which was in a constant connected standby mode, therefore the necessary hardware to detect the keyboard being opened was on and could wake the device.

Now, SP3 - that's a bit confusing. As has been said, for the first 3 hours I believe it will stay in the Connected Stand (now renamed InstantGO) which I would assume would allow it to be woke by opening the cover (like the RT), however I have not seen this on mine.

Whether it is supposed to? I guess asking Microsoft would be best.

nnthemperor

What's the big deal about the cover waking up the device? Just open the thing and if the screen doesn't turn on, press a button on the KB or the touchpad. This is ridiculous. Mine doesn't wake up the screen but who cares?

daniielrp

What's the big deal about the cover waking up the device? Just open the thing and if the screen doesn't turn on, press a button on the KB or the touchpad. This is ridiculous. Mine doesn't wake up the screen but who cares?

16272.jpg

Inconsistency is the big deal as we don't know whether this is supposed to be a feature or not.