What's new

Typical monthly update data usage

Alex_SP3

What is the typical monthly OS update data usage?

Also, can you turn off automatic updates?

Also, I am getting a new SP3 i5 256, so, what am I looking at as far as data usage for catching up with the updates?

TIA!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, I'm guessing you use a hotspot or tether to a phone but you can set that connection as metered to limit traffic until you reach a non metered connection.

http://lifehacker.com/tell-windows-8-1-you-have-a-metered-connection-to-restr-1593367633

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

And you can configure Windows Update to notify you and not download Automatically.

This link is for Windows 7 you'll have to navigate the difference...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...pdate-installation-notification#1TC=windows-7

Sorry I have no idea about the amount od data either monthly or cumulative.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

I have HughesNet and am contiplating upgrading to GEN4. As such, I am trying to calculate what I might need monthly so I can pick a package.

Before anyone sends me info about cable internet, I can only get satellite internet where I live.

Alex

VickiFL

We may be buying a house out in the country, and am curious about the cost of HughesNet. Are they expensive?

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

We may be buying a house out in the country, and am curious about the cost of HughesNet. Are they expensive?

Allowance Download mbps Upload mbps.......... Price
5 gig......................5............................1..................$49.99
10 gig....................10...........................1..................$59.99
15 gig....................10...........................2..................$79.99
20 gig...................15............................2.................$129.99

Alex

Last edited:

leeshor

I have one customer on that service and my advice is to only use it if there is no alternative. The speed and latency are both horrible.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have HughesNet and am contiplating upgrading to GEN4. As such, I am trying to calculate what I might need monthly so I can pick a package.

Before anyone sends me info about cable internet, I can only get satellite internet where I live.

Alex
OIC well something to think about, Win 10 is coming which will likely be a download, same for office, and Id expect lots of updates... with the new continuous update model there will likely be some after the fact distribution of stuff that didn't make the rollout date. you might have to drive into town once a month to 'update' :)

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

OIC well something to think about, Win 10 is coming which will likely be a download, same for office, and Id expect lots of updates... with the new continuous update model there will likely be some after the fact distribution of stuff that didn't make the rollout date. you might have to drive into town once a month to 'update' :)

Hmmmm

Do libraries have unlimited downloads? The closest one is half hour away.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

And expensive! Almost makes a person want to consider dial up....

My current plan IS like dial-up and costs $59.99.

They are offering GEN4 update deals now where each plan is $10 cheaper for each plan plus 50 gig bonus bytes per month for 12 months. 12 month contract is mandatory.