What's new

Typical monthly update data usage

leeshor

They need to ramp up Internet over power lines. They have the ability to do that but nobody seems to be all that interested in implementing it.

leeshor

No I don't. The one customer using the Satellite actually had to have the power company run power to the house, 3 miles. Cost them a fortune.

bluegrass

I have HughesNet and am contiplating upgrading to GEN4. As such, I am trying to calculate what I might need monthly so I can pick a package.

Before anyone sends me info about cable internet, I can only get satellite internet where I live.

Alex

If you have a phone, doesn't the phone service offer DSL Internet. Maybe other people would balk at my speed, which is 6 megabit max. I'm tickled to death with it. I'm even running a computer and Roku over it at the same time and my Roku video doesn't hiccup a bit while viewing YouTube HD on my Surface.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

If you have a phone, doesn't the phone service offer DSL Internet. Maybe other people would balk at my speed, which is 6 megabit max. I'm tickled to death with it. I'm even running a computer and Roku over it at the same time and my Roku video doesn't hiccup a bit while viewing YouTube HD on my Surface.

I have not had a landline in many many years.

I have looked into every possible option and none of them are available out here.

Someone told me that it is not only because of being in the boonies, but also because I am close to 2 other counties. I don't know. Something about overlap or some such thing.

As they say, it is what it is.

My current (old) plan with HughesNet is painfully slow. It is time for an upgrade so I do not have to wait FOREVER for a simple download and pay the same price as the faster plans (I guess).

The upside is that I live on a lake and luv luv luv it!

Oh well, I guess that I will upgrade and once again be on a contract and see how it goes. I have not been on a contract with HughesNet for 4 years. It has been great knowing that I could quit at any time, however, there is no one to quit to!

bluegrass

Sorry about your situation. I didn't know that there were still areas that didn't have a phone company that would run a line to your house. My grandparents lived in the country and I remember when the only phone service was a party line and you cranked the phone with longs and shorts to call someone on your party line. Sounds like you're worse off than they were. Now if I lived on an Ozark river I would be saying the same thing, "luv it" and I would probably put up with a satellite feed or give up using a computer all together.

When I'm down at the cabin in the Ozarks, I have to walk out in the middle of a cow pasture to make a phone call. It's way in the boonies. I'll have to take my Surface out in the pasture sometime and see if I can connect to the Internet with my Nokia phone.

Years ago I did have a bag cell phone that I used a dial up connection to send an email from my tent while camping on a gravel bar. I also had a car battery for power for my equipment. Times have changed.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

I just ordered the 15 gig plan and they will be here on thursday installing it.

I have an ipad 3 and have been having problems with Apple automatically downloading updates. As I was surfing the internet, all of a sudden I was throttled! I looked at my data allowance and it was COMPLETELY DRAINED! This has been happening so much that I bought an Adroid phone so that I could still check my emails and surf the web. As soon as I saw that my data allowance was dropping, I turned off the ipad. This happens with absolutely no warning and during the day when you are most likely to be using the internet.

I am DONE WITH APPLE!

leeshor

You should plan on going into town and use a public hotspot the second Wednesday of every month. At least you can mostly plan on the ones from MS. ;)

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

You should plan on going into town and use a public hotspot the second Wednesday of every month. At least you can mostly plan on the ones from MS. ;)

Why?

OK I am legally blind. Going places to help with data downloads is a mute point as I cannot get anywhere do do so. Perhaps I should have mentioned this up front. Non the less, I need access from my home. Blind or not, I should not have to make special arrangements for updates.

I will try out the upgrade from HughesNet.

Last edited:

bluegrass

I wish you the best of luck in getting your Internet connection situation fixed to your satisfaction. You sound like the kind of person that will somehow make things work.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

I wish you the best of luck in getting your Internet connection situation fixed to your satisfaction. You sound like the kind of person that will somehow make things work.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

BTW I do not have a land line by choice, not because I cannot get one lol!
I googled the Ozarks. Absolutely beautiful! I love the mountains. I taught music in the Adirondacks. Loved the area. Learned to cross country ski. Went hiking every day. Caught trout for dinner. Was there for the 1980 Winter Olympics.