What's new

Ugly Keyboard Pad Colours

SetTrend

So those dull keyboard cover colours is what Microsoft calls "vivid"?

Where's white, mint, yellow, pink?

Where's white keys with black labels on mint/pink/black/purple/azure/dark red/red surface?

Where's black keys with white labels on yellow/white/azure/red surface?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those less popular colors and combinations were voted off the island.
Light pastel colors would show the dirt from grubby hands and nobody wants that.

OP
S

SetTrend

I see.

But one doesn't necessarily follow the other.

I've intensively been using a white keyboard for 8 years now - looks like new until today.

I'd have assumed there'd have been at least some Surface users around having clean hands when working with their devices.

Or is Suface designated to merely be a construction site device?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given it's still an emerging product, they're probably just playing safe instead of having a million different coloured keyboards sat in a warehouse because only 5 people wanted the alternative designs. Probably a cost issue in there as well.

If it gets to you that badly, you can always just buy a skin.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There were magenta and white in the first gen and my understanding was they sold poorly....

CrippsCorner

It is a shame though as I rather liked the white. I wonder if they're ever going to have more than one colour available (at the same time) of the actual Surface.

OP
S

SetTrend

Yes, me too.

I assume that the magenta version was just a German Telekom special brand, like the azure version is now.

If microsoft won't offer more vivid colours, they won't reach youngsters, design afficionados and females - or, put short, people who don't want to blame themselves amongst their crowd. I'd assume that'd be quite a load of target consumers missed.

A simple bi-colour design would add quite a bit to the cover:

Keyboards.png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, me too.

I assume that the magenta version was just a German Telekom special brand, like the azure version is now.

If microsoft won't offer more vivid colours, they won't reach youngsters, design afficionados and females - or, put short, people who don't want to blame themselves amongst their crowd. I'd assume that'd be quite a load of target consumers missed.

A simple bi-colour design would add quite a bit to the cover:

Keyboards.png
Those are some horrendously ugly keyboards. maybe try a leopard print or a chameleon keyboard. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You could always brighten up your keyboard with Stickerboy. You don't have to match your keyboard colour.

Here are my stickers after more than six months of heavy use, including travel, the outdoor elements, and toddlers.

IMG_6163.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

TunaSurface

Seems like Sharpcolorado is on the right track, buddy.
I'd enjoy fresher colours also but lets face it, there's no guarantee even the black ones will sell.
Remember that Apple introduced colours on its 7th go.
5c_hero.jpg

OP
S

SetTrend

Yes, the Stickerboy alternative looks like a very feasible option.

Then I'd confine to say there's only a white version missing, to be used for the brighter skins.