What's new

Update KB3000850

Dan0219

Hello All,

Graduated from an RT to a Pro 3. Feels like a scooter to a Ferrari. but...

How many times do I have to install this update? My history says it has been successfully installed a few times. Yet, everyday it wants to reinstall.

What am I missing? How can I get rid of the update?

Thanks for your help in advance.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Dan0219

Your firewall or antivirus may be blocking the install from completing. Disable these temporarily, and try again. Re-enable after a restart.

buers

@Dan0219

Your firewall or antivirus may be blocking the install from completing.

Wouldn't that mean, that the update won't be reported as successful. However OP said it is reported as successful.

On my SP3, the Systemhardwareupdate 10.03.2015 was applied 3 times, each time successful. Systemfirmwareupdate 15.01.2015 was applied 5 times. Others have reported similar numbers for those updates.

BTW. I had updated docked and undocked (an always with the keyboard attached).

buers

Jnroach, not sure, if your question is aimed at the OP or at me. I use the original MS drivers (from memory: Nov. 2014).

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't that mean, that the update won't be reported as successful. However OP said it is reported as successful.

Yes, the update could be reported as successful (sometimes pending a restart). Then the firewall could fight back, undoing some of the changes.

ScottyS

I have never been able to get Update KB3000850 to install. I just tried turning off firewall and Windows Defender. Tried to install it, rebooted, tried again and again. It still won't install. All other updates have installed without problem.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never been able to get Update KB3000850 to install. I just tried turning off firewall and Windows Defender. Tried to install it, rebooted, tried again and again. It still won't install. All other updates have installed without problem.
If there is an MS store near you Id take it there and leave with it installed or a new device.

ScottyS

If there is an MS store near you Id take it there and leave with it installed or a new device.
I am near a MS store, but I got the SSD partitioned to dual boot Win10TP, which I use more often than Win8 so I don't want to bother. Win8's days are numbered. I figure I'll delete Win10 (maybe reclaim that SSD space or leave it as a separate 50GB partition for documents) and upgrade Win8 to Win10 release build.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
KB3000850 is a 'November Rollup' which includes 6 months of updates from Microsoft for Windows 8.1 . So many individual patches and updates are included, that if any one fails, the entire fix may not be registered as completed, even though that specific update may already been individually applied in a separate update.

KB3000850 description excerpt from Microsoft:

This update rollup includes the following new features and improvements:
  • Refreshed language packs
  • Defense-in-depth security and Schannel hardening
  • Support for newer hardware (boot order allowance, SD card improvements, USB debugging)
  • Improved Web Services for Devices (WSD) printer support during network switches
  • Performance and reliability improvements in clustered virtual machine mission-critical environments
  • Improved manageability
  • Additional hardware support (devices that have third-party disk encryption software enabled can now be upgraded to Windows 8.1 more easily)
This November update rollup also includes all previous updates since the previous image update in April 2014. This is a convenient single step to bring Windows clients and servers up to date. Unlike our April update, the November update rollup is not required to be able to continue to receive security or other updates. However, we strongly recommend that you deploy it to Windows clients and servers to benefit from these new features and improvements as well as to prevent many known issues that have been resolved since April. This update is thoroughly tested to the same quality level as our previous service packs. However, unlike service packs, this update does not change the version number and does not deprecate or change any APIs in a manner that would require recertification.

ScottyS

Thanks @sharpcolorado.
Well, all the other updates have been installed successfully as they came out, and the only thing not working in my Win8 is HD audio, which I've been told was a result of a firmware update for the docking station, and I can live without that.

The only update I really care about. at this point, is Windows 10.