What's new

What apps are going on your S3?

Jenieliser

I preordered the Surface 3 and am now rather impatiently waiting for Tuesday to get here. In the meantime I'm looking at what apps I should put on it.

I'm new to Windows (been working solely on an iPad for about 4 years now...finally decided it was time to get something that can do a little more than an iPad can).

Any suggestions on what apps you are planning to put on your surface or any recommendations?

I'll be using it mainly as a student-annotating PDFs and major note taking. I'm also studying Mandarin, so if anyone knows of any good chinese learning/dictionary apps please let me know. :)

Korruptor

你好 I would recommend you check out Pleco. Since it's an Android app, you would need to run something like DuOS.
http://www.amiduos.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pleco.chinesesystem

As for me, I'll be doing web browsing, watching videos, using OneNote for meetings at work, Sublime Text for computer programming, play simple games, MS Office and using DoOS for Android apps. I'm going to try to stop using my iPad and if I feel that I don't need that anymore, then I'll probably sell it. I've already sold my MacBook Pro after trying the Surface 3.

irogos

I'm going to have office on there + zotero for referencing software for my graduate work. Definitely one note. I am really excited about the fact that one note will read pdfs and documents to me. I will also have netflix, hbo, maybe some video editing software (i don't mind if it takes longer than the pro 3). Then finally maybe a game or 2 using steam.

I am really excited to get a tablet that I can actually be productive with rather than an iBad with computers device.

OP
J

Jenieliser

Thanks for all the suggestions!! According to UPS I should be getting my Surace by 3:00 pm today!!!! Aaagghhh!! I feel like a kid!! My husband keeps making fun of me. Ha ha ha...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odds are likely DuOS won't work. Not sure the ATOM processor has virtualization tech built in.
The Atom X7 does have VT and VT-x2 however, these Android emulators have been quit piggy to date so it's questionable how well it would work. I didn't see mention of VT-d support though that could be a requirement by some IDK. Then it would also have to be enabled in the BIOS as well which may or may not be the case.

Boblette

For me, StaffPad...it is the reason I sold a bunch of old hardware to pay for the Surface3 so I could use StaffPad. It brings music notation into the 21st century!

jev425

I am new to windows. Last time I had a windows machine was windows 7...can anyone recommend some drawing apps? Nothing professional

Korruptor

Got my Surface 3 a few hours ago and didn't like it at initially. The two things I wanted to do (Sublime Text and DuOS) had issues running at first, but I got them working. DuOS runs decently. It's a little sluggish, but it's better than nothing. I am using the Office 2016 preview, which is free for 180 days, then I need to register for my MS Office that comes with the Surface by November 3rd, so I can get that extra year for free. The next thing I'd like to try is Steam Streaming. Overall, very happy with it so far!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my Surface 3 a few hours ago and didn't like it at initially. The two things I wanted to do (Sublime Text and DuOS) had issues running at first, but I got them working. DuOS runs decently. It's a little sluggish, but it's better than nothing. I am using the Office 2016 preview, which is free for 180 days, then I need to register for my MS Office that comes with the Surface by November 3rd, so I can get that extra year for free. The next thing I'd like to try is Steam Streaming. Overall, very happy with it so far!
For the benefit of others, how did you get DuOS working?

Korruptor

At first, it said I should enable virtulization in BIOS for better performance. The program was only showing in a small window and didn't properly show everything. After doing some updates to Windows and another reboot, it's been working perfectly since then.

Last edited: