What's new

what is normal sleep screen

absresin

When I choose sleep from my 3 options (sleep,restart,shutdown) the screen goes dark then back on at my first screen(a personal pic of my home town). I thought screen supposed to be dark when sleeping. If I tap the screen I do not have to sign in again though. Seems it would save more battery if screen was dark during sleep. Thanks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sleep is as you'd imagine. The screen turned off.

Are you experiencing this on battery, or when plugged in?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What you knew as "Sleep" (aka the S3 Power State) doesn't exist on the Surface Pro 3, it uses Connected Standby (aka IntantGo) which uses S0iX, so while plugged in it will remain on (like a Cell Phone).

OP
A

absresin

What you knew as "Sleep" (aka the S3 Power State) doesn't exist on the Surface Pro 3, it uses Connected Standby (aka IntantGo) which uses S0iX, so while plugged in it will remain on (like a Cell Phone).
thanks, never had a cell phone or a laptop. Was just curious about sleep.

ptrkhh

When I choose sleep from my 3 options (sleep,restart,shutdown) the screen goes dark then back on at my first screen(a personal pic of my home town). I thought screen supposed to be dark when sleeping. If I tap the screen I do not have to sign in again though. Seems it would save more battery if screen was dark during sleep. Thanks
It has to go to sleep. If it doesn't, there must be a problem. Try restarting the SP3, closing all desktop apps and try again.

nipponham

You are experiencing abnormal behaviour. When you select sleep, either from the power option or the hardware button (as long as it's left at default), will put the device to "sleep" (i.e. InstantGo) and the screen should immediately turn off and stay off until you start up the machine again.

I don't know if it's a matter of terminology but CS/InstantGo, for all intents and purposes, is "sleep" in this case. When you say "while plugged in it will remain on...", you are referring to InstantGo working in the background, correct? Because the screen should definitely not be on.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You are experiencing abnormal behaviour. When you select sleep, either from the power option or the hardware button (as long as it's left at default), will put the device to "sleep" (i.e. InstantGo) and the screen should immediately turn off and stay off until you start up the machine again.

I don't know if it's a matter of terminology but CS/InstantGo, for all intents and purposes, is "sleep" in this case. When you say "while plugged in it will remain on...", you are referring to InstantGo working in the background, correct? Because the screen should definitely not be on.
Everything you ever wanted to know about Connected Standby...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn481216(v=vs.85).aspx

But yes, it is in S0iX is a Superset of S0 (Power On) but is in a very low power state. Now if you can into Power Settings you can prevent it from going into Connected Standby while plugged-in but the Screen will stay on....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen that article before and nowhere does it state that the screen stays on while on AC.
I didn't say that it did, I did state that the behavior displayed would be consistent with the Power Options while plugged in....

nipponham

And what power option might you be talking about...?
...Now if you can into Power Settings you can prevent it from going into Connected Standby while plugged-in but the Screen will stay on....
OP does not talk about changing anything in power settings. They hit sleep, the display does not turn off. This is not normal.