What's new

Which one should I get?

vincentallen2

Good morning, everyone!
I have an opportunity to get an original surface book with these specs: i7 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, nVidia 940M dedicated GPU
I can buy it for $1100, which is great, but the warranty is expired

Or...

I can go to Costco and get the 128gb, 8gb Ram, i5 w/Free Surface Dock for $1299. Its slightly more expensive (and lower spec'd) but at least I get a warranty and a surface dock for free

I could really use, and appreciate, your advice

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey vincent

I've no personal experience with the surface book, but as nice as the nvidia version might be, I'd personally look for one with a warranty. I say that purely because it is a device where you can't simply open it up and pop in a replacement part should something go wrong and like it or not, Microsoft do seem to have quality control issues. It's not as wide spread as forums might make it sound, but they do still exist. Only way I'd go for the non-warranty version would be if you got to sit down with it for a day, a week, and make sure for certain that absolutely everything is fine.

MickeyLittle

That is a really good deal from Cosco so if you are not doing very labor intensive stuff the I5 should be more than enough as mine is awesome and I use it with Chrome 5-7 tabs open, One Note switching between 3 notebooks with 1 of them loaded up pretty heavy, Excel, email and a couple other apps all running at the same time with no lags or bottle necking. But see what others have to say as I don't do video editing or Cad much less any gaming :)

OP
V

vincentallen2

My main usage for this would be Android/iOS app development. I'm a going to school for a C.S. Degree, and my ultimate goal is to become a mobile app developer (both iOS and Android)

Would the i5 in the surface book be able to handle Android Studio smoothly?

MickeyLittle

My main usage for this would be Android/iOS app development. I'm a going to school for a C.S. Degree, and my ultimate goal is to become a mobile app developer (both iOS and Android)

I imagine that would be a breeze since I've read that Android Studio might be coming to Chrome books and most of those have way less processing power than an I3 so yeah you should be more than good to go.

OP
V

vincentallen2

I'm literally driving home from Costco with my new Surface Book Bundle. I'm ready to put this baby to work! [emoji2]

Afrer taxes plus square trade warranty offered by Costco, It came up to around $1500 for everything

Thanks for your advice guys! I really appreciate your input [emoji5]️

MickeyLittle

I'm literally driving home from Costco with my new Surface Book Bundle. I'm ready to put this baby to work! [emoji2]

Afrer taxes plus square trade warranty offered by Costco, It came up to around $1500 for everything

Thanks for your advice guys! I really appreciate your input [emoji5]️

Please post back later with how you like it and your results of how it runs for you.

OP
V

vincentallen2

Please post back later with how you like it and your results of how it runs for you.
I definitely will. I havent even opened the box yet. I'll try take pictures and post initial first thoughts tomorrow, then I'll try to do a performance review (for my usage) a few months later
Don't text about your Surface and drive. Be careful.
Lol I'm home now, so I'm pretty safe. But thank you [emoji16]

BubbaUK

Don't you need a Mac to develop for iOS? In which case bootcamp Windows on a Mac for Android Studio might be a better option?

OP
V

vincentallen2

iOS (for me) is more like icing on the cake. I'm a die hard Android user, so the fact that I can develop apps in Linux or Windows is what has pushed me to polish my skills as an Android Developer first. With that being said, I'm going to stick with Windows devices for the mean time, especially since I can use it for most of my CS courses.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
iOS (for me) is more like icing on the cake. I'm a die hard Android user, so the fact that I can develop apps in Linux or Windows is what has pushed me to polish my skills as an Android Developer first. With that being said, I'm going to stick with Windows devices for the mean time, especially since I can use it for most of my CS courses.

I suppose you could always make a Hackintosh in a VM and do iOS dev on that. Polish those skills!