What's new

Which Surface Pro 4 issues remain?

wynand32

I have S0ix for 240 minutes then hibernate....

Hmm... Since no power at all should be utilized during hibernation, that means your 13% is burned in 2 hours. Not as bad as my (probably a fluke) 50% in two hours, but still not what we expect during sleep. If you didn't hibernate, you'd lose 50% or so overnight.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... Since no power at all should be utilized during hibernation, that means your 13% is burned in 2 hours. Not as bad as my (probably a fluke) 50% in two hours, but still not what we expect during sleep. If you didn't hibernate, you'd lose 50% or so overnight.
I'm losing 13% in 4 hours not 2 hours

wynand32

I'm losing 13% in 4 hours not 2 hours

Okay, ran another test. With hibernate set to start after 120 minutes, mine lost 8% overnight. I forgot to turn off Wifi, so maybe I could have stretched out a little more time. That's not great, but it's not terrible either. I think I'll set mine to hibernate after 30 minutes, which should work for my use case, and hope that MSFT and Intel can get together and get everything working as it should sometime soon.

Edit: Actually, Wifi _was_ turned off during sleep.

robertcan

The single, most annoying remaining issue for me is the occasional loss of pen connectivity. Probably happens a dozen times a day for 5 to 10 seconds each time.

radji

Most of the sleep/wake issues went away for me when I updated to the new(er) Intel display drivers, as mentioned in an earlier thread. I find if I know I am not going to use my device for several hours, I just shut down. It shuts down and starts up far quicker than going into and coming out of hibernation. I just have to make sure to close my apps and save my work. Not a big thing. Plus there's no battery drain when shut down.

Never had any issues with pen connectivity. Screen does not have any bleeds or creaking/cracking sounds.

Battery life will always depend on what I am doing. I find if I'm using the internet, it sucks down battery power like no tomorrow. Radio drivers probably need updates for power management.

wynand32

Okay, so, been running with the Intel beta drivers for a bit now. SP4 does go to sleep, but still burns 7-8%/hour battery life when sleeping. Also wakes up without a problem, so that's positive.

However, now i'm having all sorts of problems with my Action Center showing up and being unable to clear notifications. Clearly a display driver error because of graphical glitches that occur along with the issues. So, yes, they're definitely beta drives. Really, really, really can't wait for a long-term fix for this stuff.

bizmgr

Is there a place to find the updates for SP4. Have searched everywhere cannot find updates for the screen issue, sleep problem or the power button issue.
Wonder if MS Complete will alleviate these pesky problems.

wynand32

Is there a place to find the updates for SP4. Have searched everywhere cannot find updates for the screen issue, sleep problem or the power button issue.
Wonder if MS Complete will alleviate these pesky problems.

Well, you'll get any updates via Windows Update. Occasionally you'll find things like the beta Intel HD drivers mentioned in this thread. And unfortunately, Microsoft Complete is "just" a warranty program. It doesn't enhance technical support in any way.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so, been running with the Intel beta drivers for a bit now. SP4 does go to sleep, but still burns 7-8%/hour battery life when sleeping. Also wakes up without a problem, so that's positive.

However, now i'm having all sorts of problems with my Action Center showing up and being unable to clear notifications. Clearly a display driver error because of graphical glitches that occur along with the issues. So, yes, they're definitely beta drives. Really, really, really can't wait for a long-term fix for this stuff.
You are having issues I haven't seen, I would suggest a complete uninstall and load the new driver fresh.