What's new

Which Surface Pro 4 issues remain?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is info that I'm told I can share all other is covered under my NDA (which I have many, as MS is my customer and I'm their MVP as well as what I have under my MS certifications).

I know that they are working on updates, the S3 and SP3 ones were released this week and I'm sure the SB and SP4 are coming soon. Also, if you can't wait install the Intel Driver and set hibernation for 30-60 minutes and most of the visible issues are fixed.

wynand32

I think I remember someone in this thread mentioning that YouTube video won't play with these Intel drivers. Right now, my SP4 sure can't play anything. Any known fix?

wynand32

So, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel drivers. My notifications and action center remain wonky, YouTube videos won't play in Edge, and while sleep is better, it's not nearly resolved. I'm really looking forward to the firmware update and a resolution to these issues. I can't believe I'm missing my SP3 at this point.

wynand32

Are you using Flash or HTML5? I have Flash disabled and YouTube works quite well...

Yep, I have Flash turned off in Edge settings. Strangely, video also won't play in the usually reliable Tubecast Pro app. Really, I can see why these drivers aren't official, clearly they have issues.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I have Flash turned off in Edge settings. Strangely, video also won't play in the usually reliable Tubecast Pro app. Really, I can see why these drivers aren't official, clearly they have issues.
Its odd that mine work really well, I have had a couple of BSODs with Videos on Facebook but that has been my only issue with these.

woodledoodle

I am having a problem where when I am using my surface with the keyboard, and then I close the keyboard over the screen it turns off. However when I try to turn it back on the screen stays black. I can see my keyboard lighting up and the red light for the camera turning on but nothing happens. The only way to turn the screen back on is to reset it holding the poer button and the volume button for 20 seconds. This becomes very annoying having to do this every time.

wynand32

I am having a problem where when I am using my surface with the keyboard, and then I close the keyboard over the screen it turns off. However when I try to turn it back on the screen stays black. I can see my keyboard lighting up and the red light for the camera turning on but nothing happens. The only way to turn the screen back on is to reset it holding the poer button and the volume button for 20 seconds. This becomes very annoying having to do this every time.

This is discussed earlier in the thread, but it's an issue with the display driver where it loses connection to the internal screen. When this happens, hit Win-P twice with a pause in between and you'll cycle back to the internal display. Installing the Intel HD graphics driver mentioned throughout this thread and that issue is resolved, along with a few others (while some other issues are introduced for some).

Last edited:

jad12a

The pen. I love it when it works. I use it in tablet mode all the time. But it stops working constantly. A lot of times if I reverse the pen quickly enough the eraser registers on the screen and the pen will resume writing. There seems to be no common factor of when it will quit (other than this one is extremely frequent; a few minutes working is along time!) or how long it will take to resume writing. I have tried every remedy online l found- nothing works.

I'm on my second pen; this one cuts out more frequently than the last one. I only discovered the eraser trick with this one. I am going to try one more pen. It especially stinks because I am also a fine artist in traditional media and really wanted to give digital art a try on my SP4.
The reason I think it is the pen and not the tablet is a store pen worked on my tablet when my pen cut out. I was demonstrating the problem to the manager at the shop where I bought it. If it was the tablet I would think neither should have worked. I hope my third pen works!

Edit: decided after trying a third pen this must be a hardware fault with the tablet part. With the device manager window open there was a noticeable flicker every time just before the pen cut out and another just before or right after it resumed. I took the SP4 back to the shop for exchange and I should have it by next week. For now I am back on my iPad.

Last edited:

jad12a

Have you or anyone else ever had an issue with the sound driver?
Sometimes on my SPi7 my sound will stop working and i will have a red X showing on the sound icon. I have to reboot or enable / disable in device manager to get it working again.
Yes I had that once. Went from listening to an audiobook to no sound in any media or player. I think I rebooted to fix. Hasn't happened again (fingers crossed).

Last edited: