What's new

Solved Windows Hello not working on SFP4

CalypsoArt

I only noticed after the most recent update, but not sure that is what did it. I've followed some fixes like removing/reinstalling the Hello driver and the IR front camera driver, but that has not solved the problem. When I go tho the sign-in options I see the message "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown".

Attachments

• Win_hello.png
    Win_hello.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 538

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, @CalypsoArt . Let's try to get you fixed up.

The problem *may* be due to the Trusted Platform Module, or TPM, responding to an inadvertent attempt to login using the wrong password. Your computer is trying to protect you from you. ;-) . Actually, the TPM is a chip in your hardware to help lock out intruders, should your PC be stolen.

Try this to clear the TPM:
  1. Click on Cortana Search and type tpm.msc then Enter
  2. Click Clear TPM … then choose Restart. After a restart, your PC will ask you to re-establish the PIN you wish to use. No problem using the same one you used before, if you wish.
NOTES:
- If the TPM was not causing the initial problem, no harm done.
- You will need to do a single click on OneDrive to resume syncing after your restart.

Let us know if this remedies the problem or not ...

tpm.jpg

OP
C

CalypsoArt

Actually, I called MS Surface support. They attempted a remote repair and tried several things including the tpm clear, and changing a tpm parameter from 0 to 900. These were answers I also found on the web but was afraid to do myself. At any rate, after about an hour the tech gave up and told me to wipe and re-install the OS.

I work in a Apple Mac environment, and I'm the only one in my office with Windows equipment. After that tech support call that ended with no fix, and the answer of "re-install everything." My colleagues are again certain of the superiority of Mac, and I'll have to keep hearing it. Well that's my cross. I will continue the search for any answer, short of re-install. I'll sooner live without Hello that go through that.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try my suggestion ! Takes 2 minutes.

I like Apples too. It is okay to like and eat both apples and oranges, and burgers and pizza. Each have good and not as good features, depending upon tastes and needs.

It is better to speak two languages than to know only one, and denigrate the other.

OP
C

CalypsoArt

Try my suggestion ! Takes 2 minutes.

I like Apples too. It is okay to like and eat both apples and oranges, and burgers and pizza. Each have good and not as good features, depending upon tastes and needs.

It is better to speak two languages than to know only one, and denigrate the other.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I tried the tpm.mse again. No go. Still get the "Something went wrong" error on start up at the Windows Hello. Pin works and I can use the machine. But the start-up options still display the error as in the pic of the OP. If there are any other suggestions?

I've found this discussed on the web, the only answers were the TPM, and reinstalling the camera drivers (I've done both). Several threads on the subject are still waiting for a solution. I wonder if it is a hardware issue with the camera IR?

No problem with Mac, (I spoke it a few years back) just the evangelist users.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's your Surface joined to an Active Directory? Group Policy has been known to prevent Windows Hello.

OP
C

CalypsoArt

It's your Surface joined to an Active Directory? Group Policy has been known to prevent Windows Hello.
I don't know what you mean. It is the one machine that travels with me, but this problem happened at home and I don't remember any group directories. Can you give me direction on how to check this?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what you mean. It is the one machine that travels with me, but this problem happened at home and I don't remember any group directories. Can you give me direction on how to check this?

Here is how to tell if your computer is logged onto a domain outside itself (which means you are on an 'Active Directory'):

1. Click Cortana Search, and type cmd , then press Enter.
2. Type set user , then press Enter.
3. Look at the line marked USERDOMAIN=

If the USERDOMAIN= shows the name of your computer, you are not on an Active Directory, meaning you are the sole Administrator.

Also, make sure in Settings, Account you are the Verified user.

cmd.jpg

OP
C

CalypsoArt

Thanks for the instructions. I guess I'm not on an active directory.

I got:
USERDOMAIN=SURFACE-PRO-4

Other info. I've also run the SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit_css.exe a couple times. No change.

Still hoping to solve this without complete reinstall.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try logging out of your account on that PC. Then restart and log back in. Then try a restart after that.

OP
C

CalypsoArt

No Go. Signing out from the "Start" restarts immediately and everything is the same. I wonder if making another User/profile might change something?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t make another user profile.

How about a “Reset”, and choose option to “Keep my files.” Probably not nearly as troublesome as you thing.