What's new

Poll Yellow streak poll (Model + Lot #)

Does your SP3 have the dreaded yellow streak?

• Total voters

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see the yellow streak in the pictures, but cant' see it on my SP3... though when I stare at it long enough I start second guessing!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well, sadly with these modern screens, you just never know what you will get. Lightbleed, yellow lines, etc. Funny as I have run this same poll in a variety of different forums for different products and the percentages of satisfied to unsatisfied always remains about the same. It is literally a crapshooot as to whether you will get a flawless screen or not.

I do know one thing, all of these product returns can't help the bottom lines of manufacturers.

Sassi

The yellow band annoys me but I guess it's a pretty minor thing on an otherwise flawless tablet. I've decided to hang onto mine as there are many worse things I could get in a replacement. If it gets worse though I'll consider it.

DeltaXray

I got a refund for my last tablet and bought a replacement at the store (to ensure I actually got a brand new unit) and so far I think this one is perfect. Lot 1432.

elixir

I think yellow streak (and some left part of the screen is also yellow) is there to all SP3, it is just a matter whether it is very obvious or not. Mine also got a bit. I think we just need to accept it that this is the limitation for SP3 for now.

i3po

As i'm not yet a owner of a Surface Pro 3, but hopefully soon i cannot report back on any issues with this yellow streak.

What i can say from my observations in this thread is that there is still a minority of total members who are affected by this , the percentage seems to be way below 10% totally which falls within normal expected faulty units in a production line of say one million units produced by Microsoft.

The IPS technology in itself is also very sensitive to these types of faults plus you have that combined with the new complex stack of glass, display, N-Trig layers and more which all makes up for the ultrathin displaystack. A fault percentage around 10% of total units produced is expected, not that we like that fact but it's the way it is.

/ Magnus

I don't know how you are getting that 10% number. Based on these forums and this thread it seems much higher than that.

Sassi

Mine is about the same as that picture but I worry that if I return mine i'll end up with one much worse or with other issues. So far mine is pretty good apart from that. No WiFi issues, no dead pixels, it has a little light bleed, interestingly enough near the yellow line maybe a coincidence but I only notice it on startup, no heating or fan issues. It runs well so I don't really want to risk it as long as this is only cosmetic and not a sign of a major issue down the line. Also I'm not entirely sure how good Microsoft online store are at returns in Australia.

InspectHerGadget

Mine is about the same as that picture but I worry that if I return mine i'll end up with one much worse or with other issues. So far mine is pretty good apart from that. No WiFi issues, no dead pixels, it has a little light bleed, interestingly enough near the yellow line maybe a coincidence but I only notice it on startup, no heating or fan issues. It runs well so I don't really want to risk it as long as this is only cosmetic and not a sign of a major issue down the line. Also I'm not entirely sure how good Microsoft online store are at returns in Australia.

I live in Perth and you have 14 days to return the unit, no questions asked. I'm sure you wouldn't have any issues getting it replaced and I would recommend you do that. One day you'll want to sell it and it will cost you as it is a well known issue, familiar to tech savvy buyers.

The problem is this, you got the SP3 because you need it and I'm guessing going without it for 2 weeks or more is going to be a pain.

I'm going into Harvey Norman this afternoon and I'll find out what rate of returns they've had for this defect. I heard that out of 20 sold in the first week or so, five were returned. 2 DOA and two had current leakage issues.

Sassi

Well unfortunately I think I'm outside the 14 days as I didn't notice the yellow line until I read about it here. I don't usually sell my tech on so that's not an issue for me either. I can't afford to upgrade often so usually run machines into the ground, so unless it's more than cosmetic I guess i'll live with it.

Edit: just checked online it was delivered 15 days ago so no go on a straight return.

elixir

I live in Perth and you have 14 days to return the unit, no questions asked. I'm sure you wouldn't have any issues getting it replaced and I would recommend you do that. One day you'll want to sell it and it will cost you as it is a well known issue, familiar to tech savvy buyers.

The problem is this, you got the SP3 because you need it and I'm guessing going without it for 2 weeks or more is going to be a pain.

I'm going into Harvey Norman this afternoon and I'll find out what rate of returns they've had for this defect. I heard that out of 20 sold in the first week or so, five were returned. 2 DOA and two had current leakage issues.

So did you finally get the one that is perfect without yellowish at all, even just a very faint one?
I've looked around the display models in the store and my friends they are all having it with different degree of yellowish.

InspectHerGadget

No sign of it and I looked. I'm back to SP2 because of pen issues. I miss the i7 though. It was inexplicably quick, bigger difference than I thought. I had it for almost the 14 days.