What's new

Poll Yellow streak poll (Model + Lot #)

Does your SP3 have the dreaded yellow streak?

• Total voters

elixir

No sign of it and I looked. I'm back to SP2 because of pen issues. I miss the i7 though. It was inexplicably quick, bigger difference than I thought. I had it for almost the 14 days.

Thanks for your clarification. I think we need to know from someone who has it for more than 14 days if the yellowish problem is developed. The issue may not get noticed for the first few days, even I didn't notice it when I first received it.

InspectHerGadget

Thanks for your clarification. I think we need to know from someone who has it for more than 14 days if the yellowish problem is developed. The issue may not get noticed for the first few days, even I didn't notice it when I first received it.

I went into HN and had a chat with one of the salesman.

I initially asked about quality issues generally and he said they had none although a supply issue with the i7/512G not being able to get them. This is a different story to another salesman whose comments I posted earlier.

I then mentioned the yellow screen issue and he commented that it is a common problem across all devices they sell and is to do with bonding/gluing in compact devices. He said even the iPhone initially had this issue. He said because it is bonding related, yes it can get worse with time and use. He also blamed altitude and temperature changes during shipping as contributing causes.

This is no doubt a quality control issue albeit a common one as obviously if iPhones initially had this issue, they don't currently, so it is something that can be controlled by the manufacturer otherwise it would either show up randomly or constantly on all devices and that isn't the case.

I guess though your concerns of returning and getting another one are somewhat justified but I don't see any other alternative other than putting up with it.

gtext

Well unfortunately I think I'm outside the 14 days as I didn't notice the yellow line until I read about it here. I don't usually sell my tech on so that's not an issue for me either. I can't afford to upgrade often so usually run machines into the ground, so unless it's more than cosmetic I guess i'll live with it.

Edit: just checked online it was delivered 15 days ago so no go on a straight return.

In Australia also. Can't hurt to call them. They can only refuse.
The 14 days is mainly if you want a refund, so if it has an issue you can apply for a normal exchange under warranty. Means doing without one for a while though.
No advanced replacement here apparently.

InspectHerGadget

Yes, I meant for a refund when I mentioned 14 days. I've heard Microsoft are very good at keeping customers happy. I haven't heard a bad word said in that department so I would definitely contact them.

It would be nice if Microsoft had a Genius Bar here in Perth so you could walk in and walk out with a new one but they're just getting up and running in the devices regard but you know it might just happen in a few years time. Windows Phone is up and at a slow jog and the Surface range is doing well.

Maximus3D

i3p0, you cannot make a correct assumption that a majority of users are affected by this yellow streak based only upon the small amount of users reporting it back here on the forum. When you scroll through this thread you will quickly think that "most SP3's must be affected by this" which is wrong.

Those 10% is a normal value used in production of just about anything, you will always have a certain percentage of all units produced which end up faulty in one way or another, it's just unavoidable as long as humans are a part of the production.

/ Magnus

JoshB

I noticed one on mine when I first got it. It does not really stand out too much though. In fact I had forgot about it over the last week and haven't even noticed it.

Maximus3D

A third, or around 50 users of how many total units produced and sold since manufacturing of the Surface Pro 3 began. I'm sorry to say that these numbers are no indication as how widespread this problem is both geographically and on the number of units produced and sold so far. You need reports from say 10 000 customers in each region it's sold to be able to jump to a conclusion about which batches have more faulty units than others.

/ Magnus

InspectHerGadget

I find Amazon reviews are a good guide for monitoring a device. The SP3 gets 4.4 stars out of 5 from over 100 reviews which is excellent.

I listen to other sources of information too like this forum and sales people at stores. If you have a unit with a fault though it doesn't matter how many stars it gets on Amazon. It makes it a lot harder too when ordered online to deal with issues, no store to hand it back to and possibly getting an immediate replacement.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I have visited 4 different BestBuy stores in my region (we have 10 I think). At each BestBuy there are two display models. 100% of the display models demonstrated the yellow streak - some more vivid than others. I have no idea how old these display models are or if more recent models have improved.

This is clearly a major issue. As far as few Amazon reviews mentioning it, it doesn't seem to occur right away and gets progressively worse. Amazon reviews are usually done shortly after purchase hence the lack of mention.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well awesome news. Held off on replacing my SP3 until they had a chance for a new manufacturing run and hopefully solving the yellow streak.

This was lot 1430 and happy to announce that so far. NO YELLOW STREAK.

To say I am pleased would be an understatement. Let's see if it holds up.

** Also zero light bleed so far. I'm pinching myself.

Sassi

I'm getting mine replaced over the next two weeks (no advanced replacement here :() I hope I'm as lucky as you.