What's new

You've got the pOO000WWWEEEER - PowerCover for Surface Pro 1 and 2 coming Mach 19

Korlon

For me the only utility I could possibly receive from the power cover is the life extension it would give to my sp2. Batteries are such fickle things, and since opening up the sp2 to swap it out would be a difficult feat I can see the power cover as akin to the external power packs, just with the added function of a keyboard.

I suspect the power cover will gain popularity as surface owners face the choice of either spending $200 on a keyboard, or say $2000 on another surface pro (what ever model number).

ColoKaren

Backlighting is very important for those who use their tablets in class (lights are turned off in many lectures), and in meetings where the lights are often turned off or so low we old folks can't see the keyboard. Also, I've preferred using my laptop as a media device since it has backlit keys to my SP1 while watching the TEE-VEE (old southern lady accent). The older we get, the less light our eyes take in, and the more little things like a backlit keyboard matter.

I don't notice much if any loss of battery life when using type cover with backlit keys on my SP1. The backlight LEDs must be drawing very little power so they would still draw a very small percentage of battery life from the power cover if they had them. In fact, if you don't like them you can turn them off drawing no power.

Obviously it's a lie that not having backlit keys has anything to do with battery life. MS probably couldn't get them in without adding even more thickness which they didn't want to do given how thick the thing already is.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Its possible that being based on Type Cover 1 really means they took inventory and re-engineered it into the Power Cover....no insider info just speculation.

olimjj

I have a SP1 and backlit keys is not a luxury I have with my current keyboard so it won't be a factor. The addition of a battery is nice, but $200 for a piece of plastic with buttons and a battery is overpriced. It should come with Bluetooth capability.

Bluetooth would defeat the purpose of this Keyboard. It must be physically connected to provide extended power. If you also wish Bluetooth capability you could get the Bluetooth attachment which you could use with all your type covers albeit at extra cost.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Its possible that being based on Type Cover 1 really means they took inventory and re-engineered it into the Power Cover....no insider info just speculation.

Or more likely they wanted to release it back with the Pro 1, as it has the power connector, and they did say they are working on a keyboard with battery, and that it never came to be due to some problem. Now that the problem is solved, they can start production. As the molds and everything is done (costly), why throw everything away creating more delays, redo the QA process of the early batch to make sure that the producers make it right, creating more delays and complications. Just use what you have.

Because if what you have sucks, you should improve it before trying to sell it!

(one person's opinion)

Well, at least the SP only cost me $450 so using is exclusively as a tablet isn't a waste...

jrapdx

If it was backlit it would mean the extra battery life wasn't as effective, so I can totally see why they done it. Out of interest, I've never required a backlit keyboard, what uses do people have for them... typing on your Surface at night without the light on or something?

Unfortunately it wouldn't help me because of an eye condition I have :(

Yeah, I like the backlight. It's helpful working at night, lights can be dim, and I can see the keys if necessary. I'm not that great a "touch typist", sometimes I have to cheat to hit the right keys. Can't imagine backlighting the keyboard drains all that much energy. I keep it at dimmest setting, and it goes off when I lift my fingers off the keys.

It's a common feature, can't imagine it not being desirable, at least sometimes. It would have been better to have included in the new battery cover, but the extra battery isn't that essential for my purposes. Around 9 hour battery life is enough.

be77solo

Or more likely they wanted to release it back with the Pro 1, as it has the power connector, and they did say they are working on a keyboard with battery, and that it never came to be due to some problem. Now that the problem is solved, they can start production. As the molds and everything is done (costly), why throw everything away creating more delays, redo the QA process of the early batch to make sure that the producers make it right, creating more delays and complications. Just use what you have.

While I totally see these as possibilities, from the pics I've seen this was originally based on the Type 1 style cover and trackpad, but now looks like a Type 2 cover with fabric touchpad... seems to me if they totally changed the style/trackpad type they could have added the LED membrane for lighting. I'm going to assume its as Skellington guesses and would have added a few extra MM to the thickness.

No idea really, but unfortunately without the backlight it's a no go for me as well. Disappointed

CrippsCorner

There is TONS of people who lay in bed before sleeping and don't keep the lights on you know as to not bother their partner LOL YOU'RE THE MINORITY I guess

Fair play :p don't tend to use the Surface in bed and don't live with my partner! When she does come over I just use the dimmer switch on my room lighting anyway, can't beat a £2.50 remote controlled version!

kundas1

Fair play :p don't tend to use the Surface in bed and don't live with my partner! When she does come over I just use the dimmer switch on my room lighting anyway, can't beat a £2.50 remote controlled version!

Well that's one perfect scenario right there why you need a lighted keyboard, I'm sure with the lights dimmed you can't see those keys.... also why in earth would you not use the Surface in bed.... it's the best place to use it IMO LOL

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
While I totally see these as possibilities, from the pics I've seen this was originally based on the Type 1 style cover and trackpad, but now looks like a Type 2 cover with fabric touchpad... seems to me if they totally changed the style/trackpad type they could have added the LED membrane for lighting. I'm going to assume its as Skellington guesses and would have added a few extra MM to the thickness.

No idea really, but unfortunately without the backlight it's a no go for me as well. Disappointed

I guess I will know next week when it arrives, I do know that the Surface Team designed this with a couple of specific use cases and haven't anticipated this being used as the primary keyboard.