What's new

Disable Connected Standby

ctitanic

The battery is holding up pretty well to be honest, better than I thought it would. I've also been benchmarking the crap out of the thing. The Intel driver has far far better performance than the factory one and the extra battery drain is minimal.
That's what I have been reading, the newest Intel drivers fix some performance issues specially for gamers. I have not installed them because I don't know how Windows update will react. My guess is that you will not receive any more updates for that driver.

Wiidesire

I think connected standby can be useful sometimes. That's why I just made a hibernate shortcut to my desktop, so when I want to save battery, I'll just double click it and it will go to standby.

Aurelio

In the registry

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0) (change from 1 to 0 and restart)

Hello ctitanic!!
Thanks for the tip!

Just one question. If I want to go back, I just revert the 0 to 1 and restart??????

Thanks!

ricz

I changed the registry and disabled connected standby and then after realizing it disables all sleep modes I tried to undo it by changing CsEnabled back to 1 but this hasn't worked. Does anyone know how to re-enable connected standby after you've disabled it??

ScottyS

I changed the registry and disabled connected standby and then after realizing it disables all sleep modes I tried to undo it by changing CsEnabled back to 1 but this hasn't worked. Does anyone know how to re-enable connected standby after you've disabled it??
I was about to try this, but this post made me hold off. I don't want to not be able to change back.
Has anyone had this problem?
Changing the 0 back to 1 should re-enable Connected Standby.
Exporting the whole key prior to making a change and then later importing that reg file should put it back the was it was too.
How can this a one-way tweak, as @ricz reports?

smar

I was about to try this, but this post made me hold off. I don't want to not be able to change back.
Has anyone had this problem?
Changing the 0 back to 1 should re-enable Connected Standby.
Exporting the whole key prior to making a change and then later importing that reg file should put it back the was it was too.
How can this a one-way tweak, as @ricz reports?

Mine seemed to revert back to normal without any issues. In my case, I had originally also installed Hyper-V, which I had to also uninstall to get CS back.

ricz

Actually, I didn't have hyper-V enabled. I just disabled connected standby through that registry value. I think in retrospect I'd have exported the whole key in case there were any other values that were important.

I ended up getting it to work again. I'm not quite sure what made it work but what I ended up trying is using a command line to enable hyper-V then I rebooted then I disabled hyper-V through the command line and rebooted again. Sorry, I don't remember exactly what command I used but I just googled it. I think I found it at winsupersite.com.

After doing this my power settings were back to normal. Can't say for sure if toggling the Hyper-V is what restored connected standby or if it was just coincidental, but either way restoring "1" to the registry value and toggling hyper-V seemed to get me back.

And then I decided to try out Windows 10 Techincal Preview, but that's another story... (I did do a full backup to my Windows Server first, so I'm not too worried).

ricz

Just noticed ScottyS had also installed Hyper-V and uninstalled it, so I'm suspecting that something about enabling or disabling Hyper-V get's Windows to look in that registry value and set CS appropriately. Perhaps if you don't use Hyper-V it fails to look at the registry again so won't restore CS, but toggling hyper-V will fix it.

ScottyS

Just noticed ScottyS had also installed Hyper-V and uninstalled it, so I'm suspecting that something about enabling or disabling Hyper-V get's Windows to look in that registry value and set CS appropriately. Perhaps if you don't use Hyper-V it fails to look at the registry again so won't restore CS, but toggling hyper-V will fix it.
No, I never had Hyper-V enabled, but I've seen other settings in the past which had more than one location in the registry referring to it. Perhaps that is the case for CS, and enabling Hyper-V and then disabling it toggles another registry setting or some other "lower level" setting.