What's new

MicroSDXC not always working

BobM

So I'm on my second Sandisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC card, and like the first one it constantly drops out. If I Shut Down, Restart, without doing touching the Power Button, it'll show back up. But in due time it'll just go away.

The interesting thing is that the microSDXC slot shows up both on my "devices" as well as in Explorer, but shows nothings in it. However if I slide it out, I loose it totally as a device. Once I push the card back in, it'll once again show up both as a Device as well as showing all my files typical of Explorer.

Anyway there's something definately wrong with my Surface Pro 3 microSDXC slot.

Or has anyone found the same issues but figured out the solution?

Bob

Haldi

Jup.
Same problem here!
I've tried 3 different cards, one 128gb SanDisk.
I can plug it in, it works. When I try to copy from or to the card it works for small files but try to copy anything over 400mb the SD card becomes Unplugged and doesn't show up. 20 seconds later the Card is back. Still crashes and repeats this bug over and over.

I've contacted Microsoft support but they said the have no knowledge about this Bug but will investigate it and report back to me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It very well could be an issue with the Surface although this is the umpteenth time I've seen posts about Sandisk 128gb cards so try a different card also. The next post will likely be someone saying they have a Sandsik card that works perfectly, yay, they found one that works but that wont help you.

OP
B

BobM

Yes I just did. I sent the second SanDisk back to Amazon and purchased a Samsung. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

But I'm suspecting it's a SP3 issue, since I have this in a loading dock, and after a short period of time it goes off. Again the device shows up in Explorer but the card/disk is NOT accessible.

This happens irrespective of how it's formatted. I would prefer it to be NTFS so I can use BitLocker.

ChrisPanzer

In your day of ja vu what was your outcome? :)
T'wasn't good my friend, t'wasn't good.

MicroSDXC card still doesn't work, in fact the problem has degraded from intermittent operation to Windows not even showing it as a drive when inserted. (Still makes sound and shows "installing device driver" popup window)

I've tried all the fixes, rebooting, uninstalling device drivers, disk management, all to no avail. When inserted into different PC's, it does the same thing.

What's even more bizarre is that I mailed it to Doug to further diagose the problem and it worked perfectly on his Sp3. Go figure.

ptrkhh

Well thanks for that. Really know how to make a guy feel swell... Hrrmmph...

Also interesting is that other sd cards work fine in it.
Well, since your SP3 is still under warranty anyway... I suspect that the early batches has less reliable hardware as shown in the pen nib, and like the early batch of the docking station which shipped with faulty mDP port.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not convinced that the card @ChrisPanzer sent me, or his SP3 is faulty. The card worked perfectly on very rigorous tests on my machine.

Perhaps both the card is drifting nearly, but not quite, out of spec, and the SP3 is also drifting nearly, but not quite, out of spec with regards to geometry or electronics. If so, maybe the two drifters are incompatible.