What's new

MicroSDXC not always working

fonsecaj

I had an issue with one of those Sandisk 128 cards where it would randomly unmount. It went away after I did a clean to it in diskpart and then created a new NTFS volume on it. Been rock solid since then.

Nys299

I had a SANDISK and it kept giving me problems.

I switched to Samsung....and now I am a happy camper....no issues whatsoever.

cheetahdriver

Another here. Switching back to a 64Gb card to see if that stops the problem, but looking at the Samsung cards as well. This is not the first Sandisk card I have had a problem with..

OP
B

BobM

I had a SANDISK and it kept giving me problems.

I switched to Samsung....and now I am a happy camper....no issues whatsoever.

Well I hope I don't speak too soon, but I just purchased a Samsung 64GB as well... so far almost 2 days and NO issues.

I think SanDisk 128GB's either have an issue, or there's Chinese knockoffs in the market.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I hope I don't speak too soon, but I just purchased a Samsung 64GB as well... so far almost 2 days and NO issues.

I think SanDisk 128GB's either have an issue, or there's Chinese knockoffs in the market.
I wonder how you tell the difference between the real thing and a Chinese knockoff since they likely both come from China. :)

olimjj

Determining whether a product is defective or not , regardless of it being a "fake" or "genuine" item, is more important first step to solving the initial question of functionality and how to proceed.

RacerBX1

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most likely it's a Surface Pro 3 hardware issue. I went through 5 Surface Pro 3's before I finally got one that was not defective in someway. Out of the 5, 2 of them had the SDXC card unmounting on a regular basics (same issue pull out or reboot would bring it back for a little while), 1 wasn't tested or kept for very long, and 2 of them worked fine and never un-mounted. Microsoft knows of this issue, but is not fessing up.

OP
B

BobM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most likely it's a Surface Pro 3 hardware issue. I went through 5 Surface Pro 3's before I finally got one that was not defective in someway. Out of the 5, 2 of them had the SDXC card unmounting on a regular basics (same issue pull out or reboot would bring it back for a little while), 1 wasn't tested or kept for very long, and 2 of them worked fine and never un-mounted. Microsoft knows of this issue, but is not fessing up.

I think you're over reacting... I tried A Samsung and it's working flawlessly. I'm not saying that there's not a possible issue with SDXC hardware driver, but it appears SanDisk has major compatibility issues with their Micro SDXC or the product is failing at a very high rate. Before I'd go through the hassle of returning my SP3, I'd be sure to try anything but a SanDisk

RacerBX1

I think you're over reacting... I tried A Samsung and it's working flawlessly. I'm not saying that there's not a possible issue with SDXC hardware driver, but it appears SanDisk has major compatibility issues with their Micro SDXC or the product is failing at a very high rate. Before I'd go through the hassle of returning my SP3, I'd be sure to try anything but a SanDisk

I used the same card in 5 machines and two were flawless, and two dis-mounted constantly. That's a Surface issue.

I'm using 64G Samsung Evo mSD card on my SP3. It suddenly disappeared the other day from the windows explorer. I had to manually pull it out and reinsert it to get it recognized.

I also noticed the driver for the mSD slot is an old one from 2006? Is there anyway we can get a newer driver?