What's new

Solved Bought wrong microphone for recording lectures, will this adapter work?

OP
S

supremekizzle

Okay. Now:

1. Control Panel
2. Search for: Device Manager, select
3. See if your sound card needs a device driver.

Will do. Also, just plugged in the combo headset/mic that came with my PS4. When plugged in, it shows up under recording devices as headset mic. After selecting it and setting it as default, recordings in onenote are using the headset mic. So, the jack is working, but it's just a matter of why isn't the standalone mic being recognized as a recording device and instead as a headset?

Edit: Best driver for card already installed

olimjj

Still recording only through internal mic. Tried recording with mic plugged in and unplugged, audio is being recorded via default internal.

I want to add that when I'm looking at the playback settings and plug in the microphone, it shows as headphones being plugged in. This is why I believe my SP3 is thinking that I'm plugging in a headset and it's not recognizing it as a mic.
I just pulled out my peanut microphone that I used with my original iPod. It is the same one that I eluded to in my previous post. I Plugged it in to my SP1 since I was presently using that. When I checked Devices and Printers it was listed. When I went To Recording Devices under in speaker Icon it was there. I then used Sound recorder in the OS. Recorded a simple file and it worked.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
[he scratches head then says]

Okay. What usually happens by the audio card or board circuitry is that a microphone is automatically distinguished from a headphone by the exceptionally low impedance (resistance) of the device. But it seems that the impedance of the microphone you bought is rather high (does it say 'high impedance' on the specs?). Nothing is wrong with your computer. You need a low impedance external microphone,
such as this one.

High impedance microphones generally ignore backround or 'white' noise, sometimes desirable to record classroom discussions or sounds in noisy environments such as in a cafe. With that, though, high frequencies are greatly reduced, giving the recording a 'muddy' sound, if the source of the sound being recorded is not near the microphone. Lapel microphones tend to be low impedance, since by being close to the intended person being recorded, room noise is far less amplitude (quieter) than the person.

olimjj

Here is the one I used, it has 4 contact points.
PeanutMike.jpg

OP
S

supremekizzle

[he scratches head then says]

Okay. What usually happens by the audio card or board circuitry is that a microphone is automatically distinguished from a headphone by the exceptionally low impedance (resistance) of the device. But it seems that the impedance of the microphone you bought is rather high (does it say 'high impedance' on the specs?). Nothing is wrong with your computer. You need a low impedance external microphone,
such as this one.

High impedance microphones generally ignore backround or 'white' noise, sometimes desirable to record classroom discussions or sounds in noisy environments such as in a cafe. With that, though, high frequencies are greatly reduced, giving the recording a 'muddy' sound, if the source of the sound being recorded is not near the microphone. Lapel microphones tend to be low impedance, since by being close to the intended person being recorded, room noise is far less amplitude (quieter) than the person.

That must be it. Here's a link to the mic I bought http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000MYPPPE/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

The reason I liked this one is because of how compact it is and plugs directly into the jack without the need for a cord. Is there a way to get it to recognize it if impedence is the reason? Or am I SOL?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
umm, you can't put a microphone jack into a headphone jack plug... the hole for the headphones is for headphones only... like portable cd player or Walkman you can only use headphones in the plug... now that being said, the SP3 has great microphones for recording notes or whatever, if you insist on needing/using a external mic then I would go with a USB/BT type mic... then you can goto the sound settings and choose your choice of recording device as default...

3.5mm sockets have been dual purpose capable for years now..

olimjj

@supremekizzle and @sharpcolorado Did you read any of my posts in this thread. I now redid this with my SP3 and it works here also. Mine has a 4 contact plug (see above}. One caveat though, you must remove it to playback the recorded sound file.
It will show up as a microphone headset.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, @olimjj . Good tip.

It is good to let the OP use the nice noise-reducing microphone already owned, and also allow headphones to be used.