What's new

Solved Bought wrong microphone for recording lectures, will this adapter work?

OP
S

supremekizzle

@supremekizzle and @sharpcolorado Did you read any of my posts in this thread. I now redid this with my SP3 and it works here also. Mine has a 4 contact plug (see above}. One caveat though, you must remove it to playback the recorded sound file.
It will show up as a microphone headset.

Yes I read your replies. I know that the 4 ring ones will work, but I'm looking for a solution to get nine to work.

@sharpcolorado do you think I'll run into the same issues with either one of these? What would be some pros/con's with going stereo over mono, except for larger files?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BTAH62/ref=mlt_B0007N55K0_B000BTAH62

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007N55K0/ref=mlt_base_B0007N55K0

My thinking is this, if I have to finagle with adapters and jerry rigging, I might as well upgrade to a better mic anyway. That is, if either one of those two would work, as is....

olimjj

Thanks, @olimjj . Good tip.

It is good to let the OP use the nice noise-reducing microphone already owned, and also allow headphones to be used.
The splitter you have suggested is to share the headphone jack with 2 users., albeit with the standard 3 or 4 contact plugs. I doubt it would turn it into a Quasi headset and if it did it, would be most unwieldy. Change the mike assuming the OP can return it or get a microphone headset if he wants an all in one solution.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@supremekizzle , I think it is probably not necessary to record lectures in stereo. And microphones with 4-conductors are almost always connected to a headset.

You have a nice microphone already: discrete, noise cancelling...
I would add an adapter as posted by @olimjj . You aren't really rigging up anything complicated. Besides, the adapter will probably help preserve the life of your Surface Pro 3 port, since you may not unplug it as often as the microphone, thereby causing less fatigue and chance for failure due to moving parts. That's not much of a concern, anyway, but it won't hurt.

OP
S

supremekizzle

@supremekizzle , I think it is probably not necessary to record lectures in stereo. And microphones with 4-conductors are almost always connected to a headset.

You have a nice microphone already: discrete, noise cancelling...
I would add an adapter as posted by @olimjj . You aren't really rigging up anything complicated. Besides, the adapter will probably help preserve the life of your Surface Pro 3 port, since you may not unplug it as often as the microphone, thereby causing less fatigue and chance for failure due to moving parts. That's not much of a concern, anyway, but it won't hurt.

I'm not seeing an adapter that he posted. Are you sure you're not talking about the little microphone he put a picture up of?

If they work though, they do have an option to record in mono. I might just buy one for the heck of it to see if it works.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not seeing an adapter that he posted...
Oh, sorry.

Get this one. You'll have your problem licked.

adapter.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The splitter you have suggested is to share the headphone jack with 2 users...
Right you are. Posted wrong device. Fixed that.

@supremekizzle , A particular problem with a microphone rigidly attached to its plug is that if you type on your computer, the vibrations will cause noise to be transmitted directly to the microphone, as if you were tapping it with your fingers. A short cable length, such as with the adapter, solves that.

OP
S

supremekizzle

Right you are. Posted wrong device. Fixed that.

@supremekizzle , A particular problem with a microphone rigidly attached to its plug is that if you type on your computer, the vibrations will cause noise to be transmitted directly to the microphone, as if you were tapping it with your fingers. A short cable length, such as with the adapter, solves that.

Thanks. The problem I for see then is that the mic will just dangle there/ hard to position it to point a certain direction. Ah well. I'll buy that one and I'll also buy this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Extrasensory-Devices-ESDHW011-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B006T65CXE

See whatever works best. Thanks for all the help everyone has provided me.

EHoskinson

I think I need something like this to take mono mic and convert it to stereo in

http://www.amazon.com/Extrasensory-Devices-ESDHW011-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B006T65CXE

I think you are on the right track with the adapter to convert the microphone you have to the proper contacts on the audio jack. With four connectors you will have ground, left out, right out, and mic in. I don't recall which is which on the jack. It is not a stereo mic input. The combo jack is stereo out for headphones/speakers and mono in for microphone. Using the microphone you have shown in the picture isn't making contact on the proper connections on the combo jack. It looks like the adapter you have shown will correct that.

EHoskinson

Here's some information on the connector pin out.

3.5mm-3-Conductor-TRRS.png

Where things get interesting is in how the conductors are used. There was some initial disagreement about the wiring. Nokia & Lenovo Mobile adopted one approach (OMTP) while Apple and the rest-of-the-known-universe adopted another (AHJ).

In truth, the OMTP standard came first, it was Apple who mixed things up by insisting upon going another way. Happily, it seems that the CTIA eventually defined the AHJ approach as an actual standard.

Here’s the wiring scheme for Apple’s AHJ headset connector:

• Tip = Left earpiece signal
  • Ring = Right earpiece signal
  • Ring = Ground
  • Sleeve = Microphone signal
Nokia has somewhat thrown in the towel on its OMTP standard by developing a way for their second generation of Lumia phones to sense what kind of headset is plugged in and act accordingly. So there can be some sense of peace, at least in the realm of mobile phones.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of PC users have purchased iRig Apple-friendly audio products, just to find that the conductor assignments are not compatible between PCs and Apple devices.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some information on the connector pin out.

3.5mm-3-Conductor-TRRS.png

Where things get interesting is in how the conductors are used. There was some initial disagreement about the wiring. Nokia & Lenovo Mobile adopted one approach (OMTP) while Apple and the rest-of-the-known-universe adopted another (AHJ).

In truth, the OMTP standard came first, it was Apple who mixed things up by insisting upon going another way. Happily, it seems that the CTIA eventually defined the AHJ approach as an actual standard.

Here’s the wiring scheme for Apple’s AHJ headset connector:

• Tip = Left earpiece signal
  • Ring = Right earpiece signal
  • Ring = Ground
  • Sleeve = Microphone signal
Nokia has somewhat thrown in the towel on its OMTP standard by developing a way for their second generation of Lumia phones to sense what kind of headset is plugged in and act accordingly. So there can be some sense of peace, at least in the realm of mobile phones.
One thing I have learned about standards is, there's no such thing. To differentiate their product people always enhance, improve, modify, ignore the standard or use a different version of the standard which makes it nonstandard.