What's new

Can I disable the Power button while keyboard lid is closed?

stephen wright

I have the same problem, but with a surface book. The answers given by the supermoderator (kundas1) seem to dismiss the problem but it is quite serious, and, as far as I can see, particularly unnecessary in the case of a surface book, which is supposed to have all the attributes of a standard laptop. If Microsoft has really hardwired the switch then that is a significan t design failure. But even if it is hardwired there could surely be a software fix: if power is switched on while the lid is down, surely the machine knows the lid is down, and it could then automatically switch off? Clearly the machine has the capacity for a software driven power down. If the machine turns on for a few seconds and then turns itself off again it is not ideal but it is a lot better than it being on for hours and overheating and draining the battery.

A reply would be appreciated (preferably one that does not include capitalised words!). The surface book is a nice bit of hardware engineering but the software support seems to be lacking.

omahawildcat

i agree with this issue. i have a jack spade cover and when it is closed there are times that it rests (even with designed indention on cover) against the power button resetting the tablet.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A double-push of the power button would be a welcome modification. Press, release, press for 3 seconds, release.