What's new

Does the SP3 cause eye strain?

BearFlag

I used to have a 13.3" laptop and recently switched to using a SP3 exclusively. So far I really like it (just wish it had a larger screen).

For those of you who've had the SP3 for a while and use it as your primary devise (ie laptop), does having the smaller size screen cause eye strain over time? I'm worried that it might negatively impact my eye sight in the long run.

Liam2349

I used to have a larger laptop. I find the SP3 to be a good size for portability without being cumbersome or difficult to manoeuvre. Sometimes I could use a larger screen, but then some things I do with it wouldn't work so well.

Some things have to be compromised to make other things better. When out, I've tried to connect to external displays if I need a bigger screen, which has only ever been when I'm sorting through lab data with my lab partner.

You will probably strain your eyes if the brightness is too low or too high, so set it in a way that it feels right to your eyes. For me, that's 40% brightness. Beyond that, I wouldn't worry.

B

B'midbar

Too many variables - how many hrs/day do you look at it? From what distance? Under what lighting? With what resolution? At what brightness.?

You can just as easily roast your eyes on a laptop monitor depending upon what you're doing.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use my SP3 from around 5:30 AM to 9:30 PM everyday, I wear multi-focal contacts or progressive lens glasses (needed these prior to the SP3), I just had my vision tested for new contacts and my prescription was unchanged and I had the SP3 for over 6 months (I've had the same prescription going on 4 years). It doesn't cause me ill effect but some others have complained....

So, we won't know until you've used enough to tell and report back...

PCAnyWhere

Resolution is defintely something to adjust to. I was using an Asus Zenbook Ultrabook 13.3" with FHD (non-touch) screen and while it was gorgeous to look at it after a while I could feel my eyes getting tired on the "normal" size. Just like on the SP3 now I would scale up to about 125-150% and that has made things much nicer (albeit causes issues when Remote Desktop and secondary monitors). Microsoft just needs to some major re-engineering of their graphics scaling (and some applications as well).

I've been using the SP3 now for just about 3 months and am satisfied that I can do just about anything on it while I'm on the road. I know that if I had a full monitor and keyboard I'm a little faster and a little more comfortable. so if I take that into account any device that makes me work on a smaller screen (i.e. iPhone 5 vs iPad Air) will undoubtedly make me a little more tired.

Deryl McCarty

As probably one of the oldest on this forum, and who wore coke bottle glasses most of my life, I can say that the SP3 (and before that my SP and SP2) did not and do not cause eyestrain issues. OTOH, for use at home I attach the SP3 (SP and SP2) to a 27" AOC via the MDP, though I sit more than 3 feet away from the screen in a most relaxing tilt back office chair. When on the road and in meetings in various places I do have the brightness pretty near 100%, knowing that I will pay a battery price. In dimly lit rooms I do reduce the brightness somewhat so that it does not become a searchlight and distract others. In my case, what I need most on the road is the highest contrast between a blank notebook page - with ruled lines - and the thick black "ink" of the pen. Beyond that no eye issues at all...well ok, the eye popping price. (But I reckon I will pay 2000 for the SP4 and never bat an eye.)

ptrkhh

Just set it at an appropriate distance and keep your eyes at least 25cm away, then youre good to go

kristalsoldier

I used to have a 13.3" laptop and recently switched to using a SP3 exclusively. So far I really like it (just wish it had a larger screen).

For those of you who've had the SP3 for a while and use it as your primary devise (ie laptop), does having the smaller size screen cause eye strain over time? I'm worried that it might negatively impact my eye sight in the long run.

I have not experienced any discomfort. I was an extensive user of the ThinkPad X201, which had a 12.5" screen and a 1200x800 screen res. Of course, I do have a desktop machine with two monitors too, but I rarely use that. So, in effect, no, I have no problems using the SP3 and I don't have very good sight either.

OP
BearFlag

BearFlag

I use the SP3 for about 2 hours day on average give or take. It's good to hear that users have not experienced any eye strain issues.

I still wish it had a slightly larger screen. Hopefully they'll offer that for the SP4.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the SP3 for about 2 hours day on average give or take. It's good to hear that users have not experienced any eye strain issues.

I still wish it had a slightly larger screen. Hopefully they'll offer that for the SP4.
The SP4 will have the same Chassis as the SP3....if they reduce the bezel then we might see a bigger screen....

ScottyS

My mother used to tell me not to sit too close to the television as it would ruin my eyes.
"Straining" your eyes cannot have any effect on your vision. She was wrong about that.
(Funny though, she was right about loud rock music.)

ScottyS

I stand corrected. The built in Windows 8 News app had this today from Business Insider - ‎Saturday‎, ‎January‎ ‎10‎, ‎2015: "95% Of Americans Risk Eye Problems By Staring At Screens All Day" from what they call "computer vision syndrome".

Gotta worry about something that affects 95%. That beats glaucoma, senile macular degeneration and retinitis pigmentosa combined.