What's new

Poll FYI - Do Not Reboot SP3 with TypeCover Folded Back

With the TypeCover Folded Back, Does your SP3 Reboot Successfully?

• Total voters

CrippsCorner

I find resetting isn't great whatever the situation. It's weird... but to switch my Surface off, takes like one second. To turn it back on again, takes around 7-8 seconds. But to reset it (despite whatever's been loaded etc.) will take up to or sometimes even over a minute :confused: what's that all about.

OP
J

jonypx09

I find resetting isn't great whatever the situation. It's weird... but to switch my Surface off, takes like one second. To turn it back on again, takes around 7-8 seconds. But to reset it (despite whatever's been loaded etc.) will take up to or sometimes even over a minute :confused: what's that all about.

I know this problem is affecting every Sp3 that's installed the latest firmware (January 15)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this problem is affecting every Sp3 that's installed the latest firmware (January 15)

I installed 8.1 a day ago (before reverting back to 10) and did not encounter this issue, repeatedly. Clearly it's not effecting every sp3 (as the poll also suggests). Seems to be a big thing with the sp3, one identical piece of hardware, a thousand different expereinces.

OP
J

jonypx09

I installed 8.1 a day ago (before reverting back to 10) and did not encounter this issue, repeatedly. Clearly it's not effecting every sp3 (as the poll also suggests). Seems to be a big thing with the sp3, one identical piece of hardware, a thousand different expereinces.

When you installed 8.1, did you have all the updates installed? Where did you download the 8.1 build?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you installed 8.1, did you have all the updates installed? Where did you download the 8.1 build?

I had done some reverting and upgrading on win 10 which fubared stuff and found a backup of 8.1 on a usb stick, so i guess it was just the 8.1 that came with the sp3. It installed a bunch of January updates and then showed "system up to date". As i say, there seems to be an "issue" with the sp3 in that despite it being a single system (much like apple ipads etc) just one change here or there, or an app installed that someone else hasn't, and all kinds of bugs are encountered that others don't. MS really need to stabilize the experience. So many instances of one thing completely failing for one user, but being fine for others (the recent youtube IE/Chrome stuttering thread being an example; a user experiencing a pretty annoying issue that others just can't replicate despite being on the identical hardware)

As i also said though, the poll rather indicates that it is not a platform wide issue, and that i'm not the only one who hasn't experienced this issue. Really a shame. It's one device, this is one of the key things that makes apple so successfuol, in that the lack of a million 3rd party hardware vendors means they can keep everything working well (on the whole) whereas MS now also have one device that they can try and focus on, and yet one machine to another offers a totally different experience. They really need to sort out their QC issues for the SP4 with regard to both hardware and software.

kundas1

I had done some reverting and upgrading on win 10 which fubared stuff and found a backup of 8.1 on a usb stick, so i guess it was just the 8.1 that came with the sp3. It installed a bunch of January updates and then showed "system up to date". As i say, there seems to be an "issue" with the sp3 in that despite it being a single system (much like apple ipads etc) just one change here or there, or an app installed that someone else hasn't, and all kinds of bugs are encountered that others don't. MS really need to stabilize the experience. So many instances of one thing completely failing for one user, but being fine for others (the recent youtube IE/Chrome stuttering thread being an example; a user experiencing a pretty annoying issue that others just can't replicate despite being on the identical hardware)

As i also said though, the poll rather indicates that it is not a platform wide issue, and that i'm not the only one who hasn't experienced this issue. Really a shame. It's one device, this is one of the key things that makes apple so successful, in that the lack of a million 3rd party hardware vendors means they can keep everything working well (on the whole) whereas MS now also have one device that they can try and focus on, and yet one machine to another offers a totally different experience. They really need to sort out their QC issues for the SP4 with regard to both hardware and software.

umm sorry but I hate to tell you but we don't know exactly how many people are having this trouble, if you look at the charts only 22 people voted and 8 of those are having long boots issues because of the KB, and 7 people are having indefinite booting issues (not booting indefinitely) due to the KB and only 7 people are not having boot issues because of the KB so when U look at it 15 people are having boot issues with the KB and only 7 are ok... that to me seems like we have a big problem... I don't know why more people are not voting on this as there is over 1000 peeps who can vote and contribute to this problem and find out for sure how widely spread this problem is... but so far 15 to 7 ratio is not good!

OP
J

jonypx09

Yeah true. Just to confirm, what's the build number for your 8.1 install? The build number for my unit is:
9600.17630.amd64fre.winblue_r7.150109-2022

OP
J

jonypx09

umm sorry but I hate to tell you but we don't know exactly how many people are having this trouble, if you look at the charts only 22 people voted and 8 of those are having long boots issues because of the KB, and 7 people are having indefinite booting issues (not booting indefinitely) due to the KB and only 7 people are not having boot issues because of the KB so when U look at it 15 people are having boot issues with the KB and only 7 are ok... that to me seems like we have a big problem... I don't know why more people are not voting on this as there is over 1000 peeps who can vote and contribute to this problem and find out for sure how widely spread this problem is... but so far 15 to 7 ratio is not good!

Agree; we need more people to vote.