What's new

I have a good excuse not to buy an SP3

ProOrNo

I can't afford the i5 version, (not quite true, but I just can't bring myself to spend a twelve hundred bucks on a computer) but I could stretch to the i3. But, my current laptop is an i5 3317. That CPU has a Passmark of around 3100, the i3 in the SP3 comes in at around 2600. So there it is, I can't go backwards.

I am a programmer (retired so it's no longer a business expense) and CPU-grunt is important when test compiling about 50 times a day, so extra seconds will add up fast.

So, does anyone have some actual benchmarks on the SP3-i3 version compared with the previous generation i5 equipped laptops. Something like the Performance Rating. On this laptop adding up the five different msoft rating criteria results, I get 39.8.

Now, I really neeeeeed an SP3, so help me overcome my excuses. :)

Thanks

ctitanic

Question: does your laptop have a SSD? If it goes not I can guarantee you that you may not notice too much difference between your laptop and the i3.

OP
P

ProOrNo

Question: does your laptop have a SSD?

Yup, in fact three. :) SanDisk Ultra or Extreme or something, whatever is/was fastest. I image to them twice a week and if I have a crash/virus/bug I just need to swap the SSD out/in and I am only half a week behind. Then I make that up with the daily incremental back-ups. We all do backups? Yes?

Guess that's another reason not to buy an SP3, no SSD swapping. ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't afford the i5 version, (not quite true, but I just can't bring myself to spend a twelve hundred bucks on a computer) but I could stretch to the i3. But, my current laptop is an i5 3317. That CPU has a Passmark of around 3100, the i3 in the SP3 comes in at around 2600. So there it is, I can't go backwards.

I am a programmer (retired so it's no longer a business expense) and CPU-grunt is important when test compiling about 50 times a day, so extra seconds will add up fast.

So, does anyone have some actual benchmarks on the SP3-i3 version compared with the previous generation i5 equipped laptops. Something like the Performance Rating. On this laptop adding up the five different msoft rating criteria results, I get 39.8.

Now, I really neeeeeed an SP3, so help me overcome my excuses. :)

Thanks
So what do you figure you paid for the laptop with 3 SSDs??

ctitanic

So what do you figure you paid for the laptop with 3 SSDs??
A really good point.

Nobody is holding a gun pointing to your head, right?

I have not got any memo saying that everybody has to buy a Surface Pro 3. Let me check my Junk mail.;):p

hadrian

The SP3 is not a good laptop replacement. It is a good portable business device, but for a person who wants sustained prolonged usage with varying demands on the machine's CPU and GPU then the surface fails.

The SP3 needs to be watched and babied...Don't fall for the form factor yet. Wait till SP4. Despite what a lot of happy people say, the SP3 is flawed in respect to thermals and heavy usage. I was able to burn out my first SP3. I must have cooked it compiling like you and with editing video.

This is not to say I do not like the surface--I do but mostly because I like gadgets. Also, I have a good laptop to work with. An honest assessment will say the surface is the best tablet but not a good laptop replacement. Hell, the surface 2 was more robust. SP3 is a step ahead in design and a step back in terms of usability.

Last edited:

Chuck_IV

I can't afford the i5 version, (not quite true, but I just can't bring myself to spend a twelve hundred bucks on a computer) but I could stretch to the i3. But, my current laptop is an i5 3317. That CPU has a Passmark of around 3100, the i3 in the SP3 comes in at around 2600. So there it is, I can't go backwards...

You do know there is a $999 i5 version. It has a 128gb SSD and only 4gb of ram but it's still an i5 and it's more affordable . You can also add a micro sd card for more space.

kristalsoldier

The SP3 is not a good laptop replacement. It is a good portable business device, but for a person who wants sustained prolonged usage with varying demands on the machine's CPU and GPU then the surface fails.

The SP3 needs to be watched and babied...Don't fall for the form factor yet. Wait till SP4. Despite what a lot of happy people say, the SP3 is flawed in respect to thermals and heavy usage. I was able to burn out my first SP3. I must have cooked it compiling like you and with editing video.

This is not to say I do not like the surface--I do but mostly because I like gadgets. Also, I have a good laptop to work with. An honest assessment will say the surface is the best tablet but not a good laptop replacement. Hell, the surface 2 was more robust. SP3 is a step ahead in design and a step back in terms of usability.

On the other hand, I am writing my second book on the SP3 and it is excellent in that role. It has travelled with me across continents - even in temperatures reaching 36 degrees C and high levels of humidity and it has performed very well. I have not "watched and babied" my SP3 (i5/ 4GB/ 128GB version).

strollin

I can't afford the i5 version, (not quite true, but I just can't bring myself to spend a twelve hundred bucks on a computer) but I could stretch to the i3. ...
I personally have to chuckle at statements like this. My first computer, an IBM PC with 256K of RAM, cost $2500 in 1984 (that was after my IBM employee discount!). $1200 for something as capable as the SP3 doesn't bother me so much. :)

I see that ProOrNo is retired and may be be on a fixed income so don't want to make light of that, just pointing out that all this great technology we have today is downright affordable compared to what it was like in the early days.

Last edited: