What's new

I still have some love for my iPad

macmee

I still using my iPad AIR only for my ebooks, pubs, etc.... I couldn't find one app on Surface that can read my books!!! :(

I use http://bookviser.com/ which is pretty good.

I use my SP3 over my iPad for every use case now, including ebooks. What I miss about my iPad though is it's smaller and lighter design, the fact that it's fanless, and it's superior battery life. These are all things that will improve over time as hardware improves. The SP4 will likely be even closer to my preferred hardware.

annabanana

:)Highlighting, copy and paste on the Surface are essentially the same as on the new BlackBerry 10 phones. Gestures with swiping are very similar except I had to get used to swiping down to close apps on the Surface whereas on BlackBerry swiping up closes the app. l felt right at home with the Surface touch from the start. Btw, BlackBerry isn't dead and released an awesome new device today, the Passport.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trying to roast you here, just saying.... the very fist time I tried to highlight/select text on my sp3 with touch, I had no idea what to do, so......... I reached out and tapped the word. And you know, it worked. The reason I knew to do that was because it works the exact same on my iPhone, and my Android phone before it. Those are devices that you touch, so it just makes sense that it kind of works the same all across the board.

To expect touch gestures to be the same as what you'd do with a mouse is complete fail. Using the Desktop in touch mode is horrible because it was designed for the mouse, and the human finger, being orders of magnitude larger than the tiny point of the mouse, could never do what the mouse can do, in the way that it does it.

Ive never been able to select text by a single tap on android. As to ios, I've never owned or used an apple device in my life. I'm not in any way an old lady when it comes to computers, but I honestly never tried simply tapping, it just didn't make sense to me to even try it. Whether that is my fault or not, I stand by my previous point that Microsoft are, at the end of the day, trying to win market share from highly established competition that everyone knows. It would be in their interest to make the transition as easy as possible, not to deter new users or give them any reason for an unreasonable gripe. I'm clearly not the only one who has experienced this transitional issue.

kristalsoldier

I use http://bookviser.com/ which is pretty good.

I use my SP3 over my iPad for every use case now, including ebooks. What I miss about my iPad though is it's smaller and lighter design, the fact that it's fanless, and it's superior battery life. These are all things that will improve over time as hardware improves. The SP4 will likely be even closer to my preferred hardware.

Yeps...bookvisor is quite good actually. I use it on my SP3 quite a bit. Indeed, I prefer to as compared to Freda actually.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find it amusing when folks say how 'intuitive' Apple is. Maybe if you've been using Apple products for years it's intuitive. When I first picked up the IPad, I was lost. When I first used a MacPro, I was lost. Where's the right click? Why does the mouse only have one button? That's really stupid. How the hell to you switch screens? How do you minimize/maximize? How do you configure the WiFi? How do you HI-LITE words?

I'm exactly the same when I try to use my husband's macbook pro.

How do I switch windows, how do I minimise, how do I right click, how do I get to a list of programs etc etc etc. I know there are lots of trackpad gestures that do cool things but I don't know any of them so when I try to use his mac I'm lost. I'm sure it would only take a few hours of playing to work it out but I've never had those hours.

For me using the Surface was a little bit like that at first as I'd never used Win 8 before - so it was "where the hell are my programs?" "How the hell do I actually close somethign with touch?" etc etc... but once I got it into my head that the start screen had a scroll up which got you to the list of programs I was fine... didn't take too long and I love it now!

Lobo

@Moonsurface I'd make a bet you would have found your way around your husband's Mac just the same, had you invested the same amount of time. ;)

It's just that we all take for granted what we're accustomed to.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Moonsurface I'd make a bet you would have found your way around your husband's Mac just the same, had you invested the same amount of time. ;)

It's just that we all take for granted what we're accustomed to.

I'm sure I would and I do say so above... it just needs some time which I never have, as it's usually a 5 minute " argh" session lol, everything is back to front and upside down compared to what my muscle memory is used to.

I've used windows since 3.1 and MS-DOS before that, (and Amstrad PCW before that... not that that's particularly relevant) but my only experience with mac was once when we had one of those cool blue and white imacs attached to an instrument at work (they now all run with PC's) and I thought it's USB connection of the mouse to the keyboard was the coolest but weirdest thing I'd ever seen (our work PC's all had serial and PS2 then and I'd never seen USB before) I had an "Argh" moment then when I couldn't use it.

Equally we had a lady visiting doing a project from Quebec recently , apparently she had only ever used Mac's so her standard issue Lenovo laptop that she was issued with was a source of confusion to her.. I reckon Mac users are usually more familiar with windows since, after all, most businesses and schools use PC's rather than Macs as the general computing system. I'd never seen anyone of her age actually have to have windows explained to her before - that was weird. I didn't hear her complaining though (at least not in English...LOL).

scottysize

Wow. The OP said he still uses his iPad and can't stop, and you guys slam him and Apple for it? Yup. Glad I moved on from Microsoft. Call me an iSheep all you want. What i want is for the product to work as it was advertised and all my Apple products do. It's rants liek some of you have done that shows the ignorance of MicroSheep.

In the future, if someone has an opinion, try and listen to them, don't bash them like the children you are.

Go ahead mods, ban me. I'll not be returning anyway.

scottysize

Wow. The OP (Me) said he is unhappy with his SP3, and you guys slam him and Apple for it? Yup. Glad I moved on from Microsoft. Call me an iSheep all you want. What I want is for the product to work as it was advertised and all my Apple products do. It's rants like some of you have done that shows the ignorance of MicroSheep.

In the future, if someone has an opinion, try and listen to them, don't bash them like the children you are.

macmee

Wow. The OP (Me) said he is unhappy with his SP3, and you guys slam him and Apple for it? Yup. Glad I moved on from Microsoft. Call me an iSheep all you want. What I want is for the product to work as it was advertised and all my Apple products do. It's rants like some of you have done that shows the ignorance of MicroSheep.

Well obviously there's Microsoft fanboys here, this is a forum for a Microsoft product.

I love my iPad, MacBook and Surface Pro 3. Generally when people poke fun at users of another operating system I have zero respect for those losers.

p.s. people don't know how cringy they sound when they use the word "iSheep"...

raqball

Yup. Glad I moved on from Microsoft. Call me an iSheep all you want. What i want is for the product to work as it was advertised and all my Apple products do. It's rants liek some of you have done that shows the ignorance of MicroSheep.

I won't call you an iSheep as there is nothing wrong with liking an iPad or a MacBook.. I think the word for someone who keeps visiting a forum, causing problems, calling others names ect for a product they don't have is called a Troll..

I've never continued to visit a forum for a product I no longer own. Why keep coming here and posting hate?

malberttoo

Sensitive much???

I just re-read this whole thread to find the "slamming" of which you speak, and it's not here.