What's new

Improving SSD performance

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guide is not specific to Surface Pro 3 and is more general in nature addressing different platforms and chipsets. MS should tailor this to Surface Pro 3.

However, if you touch it you own it. :) It appears they (MS) are taking a hands off approach just from this... I hope I'm wrong. :)

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Well, keep in mind that MS may decide that the current setup and driver give results that are within their QA parameters. So, it's hard to say. I'm planning to install this Samsung patch this evening.

Nicola

The guide is not specific to Surface Pro 3 and is more general in nature addressing different platforms and chipsets. MS should tailor this to Surface Pro 3.
Well, IT IS specific to the SP3: "SSD Performance Restoration Software for Microsoft Surface Pro3"

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, IT IS specific to the SP3: "SSD Performance Restoration Software for Microsoft Surface Pro3"
"Title" notwithstanding, did you read the associated PDF guide?

The firmware is likely specific to the SP3, although sometimes the only difference is a name in the header, but the documentation is generic.

I worked on a unit that was OEMed from a vendor and their firmware update wouldn't work because the name in the header was different... i.e. the drive was made by X and Sold by Y and the only difference was the "name" embedded in the firmware Brand Y instead of Brand X. The fix was to remove the firmware eprom, and wipe the name from the header then reinsert it. After that the firmware update would work but the Drive now says it's a different vendors drive.... back to the eprom burner and change the header again :)

Last edited:
OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

"Title" notwithstanding, did you read the associated PDF guide?
Yes, the documentation is generic and the tool already existed before but could not be used in the SP3. My guess is that they changed to make it compatible with the SP3.

johnj2803

will this update come up in the windows update or should I just install it now?

I just got my surface (i5 128gb) my OCD-ness wants to install all the updates... I'm wondering if I need to install this one.

wditters

will this update come up in the windows update or should I just install it now?

I just got my surface (i5 128gb) my OCD-ness wants to install all the updates... I'm wondering if I need to install this one.

It will not come with the Windows update, so you need to manually install it ... But only if you have a Samsung SSD

jcferraz

Hello All.

I have a question about the update process. I have launched the program and after the firmware update it has asked me to shutdown the surface. I have turned it on and now I have the black window with the surface text and the circle turning below. Is this correct?

Thank you very much.

wditters

Hello All.

I have a question about the update process. I have launched the program and after the firmware update it has asked me to shutdown the surface. I have turned it on and now I have the black window with the surface text and the circle turning below. Is this correct?

Thank you very much.

Yep .. sounds about right .... Then, after rebooting into Windows the program will come back and do the 3 optimization passes. After that there will not be a second reboot necessary btw.

jcferraz

Yep .. sounds about right .... Then, after rebooting into Windows the program will come back and do the 3 optimization passes. After that there will not be a second reboot necessary btw.
Thanks for answering me wditters.

The problem is after 36 minutes I'm still stuck in the "Surface" screeen with the circle turning. I don't know if I should restart the tablet or wait more.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id be patient ... very patient ... pray and be more patient... as a rule. :) there does come a time when ... but you're not there yet.