What's new

Mail App in 8.1 Almost Unusable for Original RT

borka105

During 8.1 Preview, the fluidity and features of the mail app made it very enjoyable to use. On Day 1 of Surface ownership, the Mail app was horrible, and slowly through updates MS improved it.

Well, with the full release of 8.1, the mail app is virtually unusable. Emails take forever to delete, some emails don't pull up when you click on them, the app stutters, freezes, etch.

I am really disappointed at what has happened to the mail app...

Who else with the original Surface is experiencing the same slow, unresponsive, stuttering performance from their mail app?

OP
B

borka105

The best example of how unusable the app has begun is when you have a string of emails. If you click to expand the string and then try to view one of the earlier emails, the app won't pull that email app... it doesn't react to the email you are trying to pull up....

kristalsoldier

I fully agree. They cropped the hell out of the app. In the process, I also probably screwed up the mails that I have on Gmail. As you correctly pointed out, the Mail app in 8.0 - while not stellar - was working well within its limitations. And, from what I heard from people who had installed the 8.1 Preview, it worked well there too. But this is ridiculous.

In fact, I'd say that the Mail app in Win 8.1 (as I have it installed on my desktop machine) also sucks!

I remain mystified as to why MS does not take care of these core essentials BEFORE they announce things in such dramatic terms!

kristalsoldier

The best example of how unusable the app has begun is when you have a string of emails. If you click to expand the string and then try to view one of the earlier emails, the app won't pull that email app... it doesn't react to the email you are trying to pull up....

In addition to this, in my case, the App keeps synching... endlessly!

ARosch

I don't have any of those problems with the mail app. I have three different email accounts linked with my mail app and I am not experiencing any of the issues that you listed. I have tested each problem, and the mail app seems to handle everything almost instantaneously. I have not had the mail app freeze on me ever.

kristalsoldier

I don't have any of those problems with the mail app. I have three different email accounts linked with my mail app and I am not experiencing any of the issues that you listed. I have tested each problem, and the mail app seems to handle everything almost instantaneously. I have not had the mail app freeze on me ever.

Interesting. So, two questions:

1. What is the maximum number of mail that you have in any one account - I have about 4GB worth of mails in my Gmail account.

2. What is the frequency at which you are asking the App to look for and download mails? In my case, I have it set to retrieve mail as soon as it arrives and to download mails from "Any Time" (for each of the three accounts).

ARosch

Interesting. So, two questions:

1. What is the maximum number of mail that you have in any one account - I have about 4GB worth of mails in my Gmail account.

2. What is the frequency at which you are asking the App to look for and download mails? In my case, I have it set to retrieve mail as soon as it arrives and to download mails from "Any Time" (for each of the three accounts).

My Gmail has around 2GB and my Outlook has about 400MB. The third account has even less.

The two larger accounts are set to download as new items arrive with the third downloading every fifteen minutes. They are all set to download mail from any time.

kristalsoldier

My Gmail has around 2GB and my Outlook has about 400MB. The third account has even less.

The two larger accounts are set to download as new items arrive with the third downloading every fifteen minutes. They are all set to download mail from any time.

Very strange. But lucky you, because I have real problems with the damn Mail App and I have no idea how to fix it.

wonderman

Very strange. But lucky you, because I have real problems with the damn Mail App and I have no idea how to fix it.
I must, then, be lucky as I have not had any issues with mail app. I do have five email accounts in it, for me, the Surface RT has been my primary content creation tool sincere November 2012! My mu work and private laptops just became permanent desk tops.

ARosch

I must, then, be lucky as I have not had any issues with mail app. I do have five email accounts in it, for me, the Surface RT has been my primary content creation tool sincere November 2012! My mu work and private laptops just became permanent desk tops.

Kristalsoldier, I think you broke it :tongue:

Br1an_g

I don't have any issues with the new mail app. Have it syncing my Hotmail, work and Gmail without issues. My Hotmail account is about 2gb..