What's new

Major sites picking up the overheating Issue

mitchellvii

Although the updating bug caused my fan to spin up I've never had any heating issues with my i3 and now my i5 SP3.

wynand32

Agreed, it's good that valid issues get attention. Let's just hope that the issues aren't blown out of proportion. There's a fine line between reporting on an issue and piling on, and I'm not so big a fan of the technology press that I'm comfortable with them straddling that line.

mohcho

It could go both ways. The PR about the bugs and overheating could kill the sales of the SP3 as people only read the headlines and see that it overheats and never consider it. It could also light a fire under Microsoft to get it sorted out faster, which I believe they are working on right now.

Since the 08/19 update, I've found that the SP3 runs more silent than before and the update fix tool helped a lot as well.

I think the problem lies with perceptions. A new line of devices come out, early adopters pay a premium for it, and expect that there will be no problems. If you've bought a car that has just been refreshed and retooled, you will have to deal with bugs and issues that the manufacturer did not know about or did not consider in the design. Those tend to get sorted out in the next year's model.

With the Surface, they should be able to address most issues with software and firmware updates, but thinking that you can run the CPU full speed without fan noise and heat generated in such a small form factor is not reasonable.

OP
D

dman27

Genuine issues should be reported whether sales are hurt or not. Many manufacturers will only respond when the problem is elevated to the mainstream rather than on forums and blogs.

I'm particularly interested in the throttling issue and the I7 vs I5 perception. It seems because of throttling and heat, the I7 is not really the full upgrade it should be.

raqball

I don't get it...

I consider the form factor and the powerful processor in the SP3 and I 100% knew it would get warm / hot.

My Chromebook Pixel would get 3 to 4 times hotter than the SP3. The Pixel was almost unusable on the lap if watching video, that's how hot it got.

My rMBP got hot under heavy use. Not as hot as the Pixel and it was cooler than the Sp3 but it has a different form factor than the SP3.

My retina iPad would get warm / hot. About the same as the SP3 under heavy use.

I guess I just don't know what people expect when you put powerful PC components into a small, thin and light form factor.

Maybe I am just not getting it. But I fully expected the SP3 to get warm and even to get hot under heavy use.

OP
D

dman27

I think people and particularly the tech media expect a machine to meet claims by the manufacturer. Whether they meet your needs is another issue. It does meet 90% of my needs, but still would like to use the full processing power rather than be throttled back so severely.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think people and particularly the tech media expect a machine to meet claims by the manufacturer. Whether they meet your needs is another issue. It does meet 90% of my needs, but still would like to use the full processing power rather than be throttled back so severely.
Did you know an iPad Air throttles as much or more than an SP3 and high end Laptops like a Lenovo X1 throttle significantly too. Did you know if a tree falls in the forest it does make a sound. :)

raqball

I don't generally give the tech media a whole lot of credit for being unbiased. They want clicks and page visits.

Blowing a story out of proportion is pretty normal and it's done all the time.

I'd agree with the heat issue if it were shutting the SP3 down or something like that. Like I said, maybe I am just not seeing the issues that is causing all the commotion.

Mine gets warm, it even got a little hot once on the right ride. When it got hot, I was charging it and doing a few intense processes. It didn't appear to effect the SP3 performance as what I was doing continued on without interruption.

Just about every electronic device will get warm / hot with use. Even more so with these compact and high powered devices. Look at all the iPad complaints re heat. Look up the Chromebook Pixel and heat. Do the same for the MacBook Air and Pro. Check out heat complaints on many of the newer phones that are rocking high end specs.

Heck, my Nokia Icon got pretty hot yesterday watching a YouTube video.

tuchas

Other ultrabooks, notebooks or tablets may get hot or hotter. However, the MacBook Pro and Air are ESTABLISHED sellers that are not trying to get a foothold in the market. They already have that foothold. Microsoft is trying to penetrate the market and sell SP3s. So overall, for a company like MS trying to sell the Surface brand, it still looks bad.