What's new

Major sites picking up the overheating Issue

ctitanic

It looks as if major sites are "Finally" picking up on the overheating and possibly throttling issues being reported by some consumers.

After the 8/19 update, this is not quite as noticeable an issue, but it's good they are throwing the questions over to Microsoft.

Manufacturers tend to FIX issues when it comes from the major sites or reviewers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2597...p-coming-as-overheating-complaints-arise.html
The main problem is that PC World is quoting a site with no case in what they are talking. The highest level of technical stupidity!

Last edited:

malberttoo

It looks as if major sites are "Finally" picking up on the overheating and possibly throttling issues being reported by some consumers.

After the 8/19 update, this is not quite as noticeable an issue, but it's good they are throwing the questions over to Microsoft.

Manufacturers tend to FIX issues when it comes from the major sites or reviewers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2597...p-coming-as-overheating-complaints-arise.html

It's so interesting that you assume that Microsoft would not have fixed this issue without being publicly shamed. I'm not smart... but it seems reasonable to me that out of ALL the i7's that have shipped and gotten into peoples hands since ONLY 25 DAYS, they might need a little time to sort the problem out???

Seriously, the "I want it fixed and I want it fixed NOW" attitude is annoying.

If this was still going on in a couple months from now, and had no response from Microsoft, I'd be ticked too. But 3 weeks, sheesh....

Or, maybe I'm the one who's unrealistic, I dunno.

OP
D

dman27

I don't know the full scope of exactly what they are covering, though I see some here have participated in the other forum to answer questions or to just inform the user that it is not the device.

The issue is unless you are a technophile, IT, tinkerer, etc, the tweaking could seem pretty daunting to make the concessions that some are recommending to get throttling, battery life and heat to acceptable levels compared to the previous model.

It seems some have come to the conclusion that it is NOT the device, it is the user's expectation of the device, the software glitches, the unwillingness of the user to do basic tweaks or any number of reasons that the SP3 is having reported issues.

If overheating, throttling, less performance than the previous version and battery life weren't issues, it wouldn't be addressed at all.

I say that given the info and marketing of the SP3 before it's release, anyone that claims they expected severe thermal throttling, systems shutting down due to heat, and less sustained performance than the previous version is not being completely honest.

If "many" people had not reported these issues, we would not have the Updater fix, lowering of the brightness , notifications tweaks, 8/19 update fix for throttling, etc.

Shining a light on the device, whether good or bad actually makes it much better and everyone benefits.

We will definitely see more articles like this and MS will eventually respond.

OP
D

dman27

It's so interesting that you assume that Microsoft would not have fixed this issue without being publicly shamed. I'm not smart... but it seems reasonable to me that out of ALL the i7's that have shipped and gotten into peoples hands since ONLY 25 DAYS, they might need a little time to sort the problem out???

Seriously, the "I want it fixed and I want it fixed NOW" attitude is annoying.

If this was still going on in a couple months from now, and had no response from Microsoft, I'd be ticked too. But 3 weeks, sheesh....

Or, maybe I'm the one who's unrealistic, I dunno.

I don't think they have been publicly shamed, and that's not the point.

The point is reporting the issues repeatedly among hundreds of users can't be ignored to just user expectation.

MS has been incredible with releasing timely updates on this model as well as previous versions.

I do believe that some would pass these off as "just accept it" and we would not have seen them addressed at all.

It didn't really bother me about disconnecting and reconnecting the WiFi as it did others, but I am glad they kept hammering the issue until it was addressed by MS. We all benefited from that update, regardless if we had an "ISSUE" with it.

ctitanic

I don't know the full scope of exactly what they are covering, though I see some here have participated in the other forum to answer questions or to just inform the user that it is not the device.

The issue is unless you are a technophile, IT, tinkerer, etc, the tweaking could seem pretty daunting to make the concessions that some are recommending to get throttling, battery life and heat to acceptable levels compared to the previous model.

It seems some have come to the conclusion that it is NOT the device, it is the user's expectation of the device, the software glitches, the unwillingness of the user to do basic tweaks or any number of reasons that the SP3 is having reported issues.

If overheating, throttling, less performance than the previous version and battery life weren't issues, it wouldn't be addressed at all.

I say that given the info and marketing of the SP3 before it's release, anyone that claims they expected severe thermal throttling, systems shutting down due to heat, and less sustained performance than the previous version is not being completely honest.

If "many" people had not reported these issues, we would not have the Updater fix, lowering of the brightness , notifications tweaks, 8/19 update fix for throttling, etc.

Shining a light on the device, whether good or bad actually makes it much better and everyone benefits.

We will definitely see more articles like this and MS will eventually respond.
The problem is not reporting the issue but how you report the issue. You may be missing that part.

OP
D

dman27

The problem is not reporting the issue but how you report the issue. You may be missing that part.
I could see your issue with the article.

Does it overstate the overheating problem? I can't say, but there have been many reports of the problem and the link he is referring to collects info of those that have been affected in some way.

I had the dreaded thermometer pop up after my I5 shut down. This happened during updates, if I recall correctly. I haven't experienced that on my I7 version as others have, so overheating was never a big concern for me.

ctitanic

First of all only a minority of users had the issue with the thermometer showing up, secondly the only one that knows the exact cause is MS. Do not write an article pretending that you know the cause and call your article like that. They went as far as saying that they found a fix!

OP
D

dman27

With a minority reporting it, do you feel it is an issue?
The problem is that only a minority are reporting it and not that it may be overblown. It is too early to tell.

I had the issue and didn't report it, as it only happened the one time. I never knew it happened to even the "Minority" who reported it.

Had I and others like me reported it, you may be surprised to see it is much larger than previously thought.

kundas1

hahaha this reminds me of the SP1 where there was a little problem with the touch/type pad where the seam would come apart from folding it back and then some idiot site made it seem like it was a wide pandemic problem when in fact it happened to like 1 person! anyone remember that? wow what a laugh!