What's new

Major sites picking up the overheating Issue

OP
D

dman27

I find it very interesting that things that are not a problem get so much fanfare and relief when it's fixed.

I'm really confused about the almost obsessive overlooking of how the device was presented (marketed) vs how it actually performs.

The SP3 performs extremely well for most tasks as marketed, but very badly in others as marketed.

Another head scratcher is that the SP3 excels at so many other tasks NEVER marketed by MS, or is briefly mentioned in the most idiotic commercials possible.

The SP3 is a homerun, but the marketing is definitely not.

raqball

Just came across this in my RSS feeds.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/microsoft-surface-pro-3-not-overheating

The problem—whatever it is—no doubt stems from the fact that Microsoft has wedged a powerful, high-end Intel Core i7 processor into the almost impossibly thin form factor of the two topmost Surface Pro 3 models. As with various Ultrabooks, the Surface Pro 3 has to throttle the CPU as needed and work some active and passive cooling magic to keep the thing from imploding. But when you consider the thinness of this device, it should be no surprise that it runs pretty hot with i7 guise.

Well written, no hype, no drama, just the facts.

OP
D

dman27

Well, as long as the fan doesn't come on full blast, shut down and then show the thermometer (meaning too hot to power on)... all is good.

Guess we were all wrong about it having issues.

ctitanic

With a minority reporting it, do you feel it is an issue?
The problem is that only a minority are reporting it and not that it may be overblown. It is too early to tell.

I had the issue and didn't report it, as it only happened the one time. I never knew it happened to even the "Minority" who reported it.

Had I and others like me reported it, you may be surprised to see it is much larger than previously thought.
Usually, happy users don't come to forums to report that they are happy. That's how I know that it's a minority.

ctitanic

Just came across this in my RSS feeds.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/microsoft-surface-pro-3-not-overheating

Well written, no hype, no drama, just the facts.
it's what it's, I have a Dell i7 at work and that's why I did not buy the SP3 with that processor. That Dell gets hot from time to time, really hot, and it's a 7 pounds laptop with a lot of room for a cooling system. So only those that never held in their hands an i7 machine would believe that the SP3 i7 would be running cool.

mmoran27

The problem is that MS is selling i5 and i7 and throttling cpu performance so much that it performs much slower than other devices with the same cpu / specs. Even the SP2 is faster and that is a year older. Then they are advertising this as a replacement for your laptop and even for gaming as seen in other links. This is deceptive marketing / poor engineering. They should have just put in slower cpu than can operate in these form factors and called it what it is. A tablet with some PC functionality.

Len J

The problem is that MS is selling i5 and i7 and throttling cpu performance so much that it performs much slower than other devices with the same cpu / specs. Even the SP2 is faster and that is a year older. Then they are advertising this as a replacement for your laptop and even for gaming as seen in other links. This is deceptive marketing / poor engineering. They should have just put in slower cpu than can operate in these form factors and called it what it is. A tablet with some PC functionality.

Not true. Same processor, same specs, same thinner profile are throttling exactly the same, and, for most uses, that is no big deal. Just like every other ultra book vs laptop vs desktop choice, every choice involves compromises. It's all about selecting the best balance of machine features for YOUR uses.

For me, and for most users, it is a replacement for my laptop and my tablet. Just because that is not true for 100% of users does not make it deceptive..... There is an assumption that users will bring some small level of common sense to the evaluation.

As to poor engineering........lol. A 1.7 pound reasonably large screened full laptop made this thin is a very impressive engineering feat.

It is way more than a tablet with some PC functionality, as demonstrated daily by those of us using it for much more than that.

If it doesn't work for your needs, then don't buy it.

It's really simple.

Len

raqball

Do you buy a product based on marketing alone? In my opinion marketing should do nothing more than peek your interest in the product. Once your interest is peeked then it's time to do your own research into it.

If all else fails, just about every retailer on the planet earth has a return policy. If in the end you find it does not meet your needs then you return it for a refund.

I am confused over the anger displayed by some here. If the product does not meet your needs then return it, get one that does and move along with life.. It's just a PC and is not an earth shattering life event..

raqball

For me, and for most users, it is a replacement for my laptop and my tablet. Just because that is not true for 100% of users does not make it deceptive..... There is an assumption that users will bring some small level of common sense to the evaluation.

If it doesn't work for your needs, then don't buy it.

Agree 110%..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know that as long as the SP3 doesn't do one thing as well you are only going to look at that one thing.

However, the facts are the SP3 performs better than the SP2 on many things and evenly on many other things. on balance the SP3 is an improvement over the SP2 for what the vast majority of users need. Not to mention is a better design etc.

see the Anandtech Review. Its right there for everyone to see and understand. on one test the SP2 was significantly better, on one test the SP3 was significantly better. on half the remaining tests it was pretty even and on the last 8 tests the SP3 was better than SP2 across the board.

Maybe future firmware updates will make the SP3 even better, odds are they will. because we know Microsoft is loath to finish a product before they release it.

bluegrass

I don't know about the rest of you but when it comes to the Surface, I consider this a major site, spending more than an hour on it everyday. I would hope that at least some people employed by Microsoft use this site and some of the information reported here gets spread around at Microsoft.