What's new

Microsoft PEN bluetooth connection issue

simon79

Hello,

I am a student and use the MS Pen the whole day long. I am using the top button to switch between the sites trough the Task View, or to use the snip & sketch tool. Its working pretty nice, but sometime I have no connection to the tablet anymore, and I need to reconnect trough bluetooth again, which is annoying very much during the class.
Is there a way to keep the Pen connected permanently?

The surface is up to date, The Pen has 77% battery life.

Thanks
Andy

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Andy,

A few questions:

1 - Is this a new issue, or has the pen been disconnecting ever since you started using it, or the Surface Pro 7 ?
2 - Does it only happen during class, or does it also happen in different rooms or different venues ?
3 - Do you use the same Surface Pro 7 unit every time with the same pen ?

Your pen should not be behaving this way. I hope we can help you resolve this problem.

OP
S

simon79

Hi, thanks for support

1. Hmm I am using the pen button the first time, so I cant actually say if it was always like that, But I tried to pair it again
2. Different rooms as well
3. Yes same device, same pen

thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Which generation of the pen are you using? Does your pen have a clip?
Some models used two different batteries - one for the tip and one for the Bluetooth, with only one battery reporting its remaining life.

See here:

OP
S

simon79

Hi,

I have no clip, and I was told the one i am using is the latest one. Got the firmware 193.2343.371.0, and batter is 78%.
Do I really need to change this almost full battery?

thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

I have no clip, and I was told the one i am using is the latest one. Got the firmware 193.2343.371.0, and batter is 78%.
Do I really need to change this almost full battery?

thanks
Unlikely to be the battery, then.

This is very inconvenient, I am sure, but do you have a friend with a Surface who would be willing to test your pen? Trying to test whether the culprit is the Surface or the pen.

OP
S

simon79

Hi,
there is no one close that could borrow me his pen, unfortunately. I have tested it at home where no bluetooth devices is near by. And it works so far. It might be the problem comes form other BT devices? if yes how can I fix it?
I am always in a class rom and this days BT is everywhere

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bluetooth interference is why I asked about venues.

It would be good for you to move your position in the classroom. If you are close to a wall, move away from it. If you are away from a wall, move closer to it. Bluetooth uses the same bandwidth as other WiFi, with subtle frequency differences.

Another thing to try is to have a block or plate of iron or steel near your Surface. This could be a clipboard, a paperweight, or some other metal object. The idea is to interfere more with weaker signals (from other people) making yours, nearby, the strongest.

OP
S

simon79

Ok Thanks for your support. I can try it out. Thinking about this issue you could right about BT as it has happend several times also in the train where for sure are many BT near by. I will test it out, and let you know the next time I have a class

thanks

Sethiol

A side note about BT freqs, BT using frequency hopping. Meaning its not a static freq, and why multiple BT devices can operate in close proximity, and the purpose behind pairing; so both devices are "rotating" freqs at the same time.

Several of my friends have purchased Surface Pro kits, SP+pen+cover, and have received pens that had issues. Can you goto store or try a replacement? Or as has been mentioned, pair it to another SP or try their pen on your device.

OP
S

simon79

Hi,
I got the Surface Pro with Pen and cover at the same time, but from different provider. I can't try it to another device as I don't know someone who own a SP.
As far I can tell you once I am alone without other devices around me, all works fine, Once I am in the class room its a catastrophe....I am really wondering how its possible that we got such an issue? I mean the surface has also the purpose being used for students, and of course there are always BT devices around.
Very strange that such an issue was never tought about, and/or fixed after.

thanks anyway