What's new

Persistent Task Bar?

JimArneson

The taskbar on my desktop all of a sudden stays visible across the bottom of the screen when a program opens. I think this happened after the August firmware update. Any thoughts on how to make it disappear like before?

Screenshot%20%281%29-X2.png

kristalsoldier

Right-click the task bar. Click on "Properties". This opens up the Taskbar and Navigation properties. Look under the first tab "Taskbar". Look a the first 3 checkbox options. the Auto-Hide Taskbar option is probably unchecked by default. You want to check it. See if it works.

bluegrass

I'm up to date the latest updates and I just turned on Hide Task Bar and it worked fine. Why don't you try turning it off & on again & see if it will start working. I assume it still failed after a shutdown and reboot.

Kif

I think August patches broke it. Bad patch month. Microsoft is going to need another patch Tuesday to fix last patch Tuesday patches.

adrians

This can happen when one of the background tasks (which have icons in the task tray) puts up a notification popup that needs acknowledgement and you miss it. The bar stays up until you acknowledge the appropriate task, but the problem is that these popups can sometimes disappear even though they haven't been acknowledged, after some time has passed. What I do is right click on the task tray (not task bar) icons to get their context menus to pop up (I usually have some suspected ones in mind so I don't need to go through all of them) and then the task bar retracts. If you want to do the same (in case this happens again), it's easier if you set the task tray to show all icons instead of hiding some of them.