What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

mwilson

i have a galaxy mega..not too sure why it doesn't connect...there are no settings to adjust to try to make it more compatible ... but it is definitely the hardware as a usb wifi adapter connects fine...

Is the phone set up to offer an ad-hoc or infrastructure connection?

dstrauss

Well, back again (remember Nicholson in The Shining) - WiFi is still a day to day nightmare. Some days it will connect to a WiFi router at home or office and hold; sometimes, like yesterday, it drops the office WiFi router about every 10-15 minutes (the router is outside my office door, about 20 feet away); sometimes it just drops off when put to sleep. In most events, you have to do a full reboot, and on occasion (every other day) have to uninstall the less-than-Marvell-ess network adapter and reinstall after a reboot.

Frustration doesn't describe it. I've done untold driver reinstalls; complete system restores (TWICE), and within 3-5 days the problem(s) come back. If I weren't a month past my return period it would be going back to Redmond!

Sorry for the vent (rant?) but this is insane...

dstrauss

UPDATE - Replacement Unit Is Being Shipped From Microsoft

After being on a tech service call for just shy of 90 minutes, including reinstallation of the 9/9/2014 firmware upgrade, which immediately after restart brought the wireless card up with "Limited Connectivity" they gave up and authorized a replacement shipment. Hopefully that will resolve the issue, and like so many of you, I'll see flawless connectivity. For the record, I seriously doubt it, but we'll see if I am eating crow in a few weeks (takes 3-5 business days to ship, then they recommended testing for at least a week to see if it is stable) before returning both in a fit of anger - I would NEVER do that. :cool::rolleyes:

I started a separate thread for this before realizing this sticky is here, so I am posting here as well.

When I turn on (wake up, whatever...) the unit after it sits closed and idle for a while, maybe a few hours or more, Metro apps cannot connect to the internet. I've noticed this especially with IE, the Store, and the weather app. They don't always just hang, they sometimes show a big message that there is no connection (Fix Connection Issues, or something like that). However, if I go into desktop apps, I can connect just fine. Last night, I toggled my wifi off and on, and all was well again. But this doesn't always work. In fact, a restart didn't help this morning when it happened.

balefire

its sad when my wife's 3 year old computer connects to wifi after sleep each and every time, and has better wifi range than my new ish SP3.
for the record, my old sony vaio tap 11 had wifi range and sleep issues similar to this SP3.
not totally happy.

Very Annoyed

Still issues with limited connectivity. Always happens after coming back from sleep mode.

Intermittently drops even when in use at my office. i7 SP3. This freakin sucks.

Yeah, this is getting frustrating. Ignoring the fact my wife gets mad every time she tries to use it and resorts to using our 8 year old Dell laptop, it really affects my work. Since I only have the problem in MUI apps, if I open a PDF from explore, it opens up Drawboard. That's fine. But because I am usually opening from a network drive, I cannot save my edits because of no MUI connectivity. It's completely baffling. I have had several cases where I thought the PDF had saved, but ended up losing all of my edits. And to reiterate, this happens in all MUI apps I have tested, not just Drawboard. It happens in IE, weather, and store as well.

stonerwinst

I, too, am still having WIFI connectivity issues. I have a Netgear R7000 and connecting via AC 5 GHz. The symptom is when the SP3 wakes up from deep sleep, the WIFI connection is "Limited". I have to manually disable and re-enable the WIFI to successfully reconnect to the router.

It is disappointing that Microsoft still doesn't have a fix for this given I how much I paid for this SP3 i7 device. I have owned many other laptops and tablets and have never had this issue. It may be Marvell's fault, but ultimately it is Microsoft's problem for selecting this chipset.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have an R7000 and haven't had any WiFi issues with the SP3 since the July Firmware Update, are you on the latest Firmware or are you use the DD-WRT Firmware?

Is you SP3 fully patched?

Toni Mathias

Sometimes mine does this sometimes not. I do know I had an awful time connecting to my work open wireless network until I enabled network and file sharing, go figure.

stonerwinst

My SP3 and R7000 are running the latest stock firmware.

Is this still an open issue to be fixed? Or has a software fix already been released and maybe this issue is specific to my unit?

Tosko

I haven't had issue's until this morning. My WiFi connection kept getting dropped. I reviewed my wifi signal and figured that channel 13 was the best option for me in this environment. It was set to use channel 1 where a lot of other wifi signals seem to be in.

Since the change to channel 13, my connection seems stable... weird thing is dat my smartphones never had any issues with the wifi connection at all.