What's new

Random reboot and lock up

grumpy

That is just unfortunate. I know that is was tricky to to get them to accept my replacement unit, but there was no way that I was going to go through reinstalling everything only to be stuck with a worse machine. Fortunately, the first level support guy was understanding and was willing to try and figure it out. I still spent over 1.5 hours on the phone and he had to consult several people.

Unfortunately, the follow up with "Daniel" (my "friendly" neighborhood Surface Care Team member) was far less productive. After over a month of a pointless back and forth (during which he went "dark" for two weeks) I finally demanded that the replacement be from a newer lot and that I could immediately send back any device that did not meet my expectations (since a NEW replacement was a non starter). Well, Daniel was never heard from again.

I have since decided to just live with (for the time being) my issues as my SP2 is actually quite stable aside from the battery weirdness, and the whole ordeal was just getting too frustrating. I really don't want to get stuck with something worse - and since I have the extended warranty, I can always pursue a replacement later.

I sincerely hope that it works out for you.

Vic Cooper

I'm having the exact same problem as HarnessTech with my SP3. "I'll walk away from it and come back later to see the boot screen where you see the Surface logo against a black background and the spinning load icon. Problem is, it never boots. The only way to get any kind of response is to push and hold the power button for about 15 seconds, forcing a shutdown, then power up again."
Was on the phone this morning with Microsoft Support. They had me run through troubleshooting, check for updates, virus scan, etc. Same results as HarnessTech with the troubleshooter and same messages with ACPI. Microsoft is suppose to call me back in an hour or so to check on my progress. I suspect that they are going to ask me to do a full refresh. Based on what I am reading here I'm going to press for a replacement.
One question - how do I find out what lot I have? Any advise on how to NOT get a refurbished replacement?

Vic Cooper

Microsoft is sending me a replacement. I asked for a new one rather than a refurbished one but the guy I spoke to said there was no way for him to specify what I would get other than adding a note to the order

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

HarnessTech,
Did "Mary" help you and a miracle happen to you?

Nope. It's now been 12 days without a response. I was promised daily updates and follow up once the old unit was sent back. Haven't heard a damn thing and I've been asking for updates every couple of days. I'm actually thinking about consulting with my attorney at this point. They should not be allowed to get away with this crap.

OP
HarnessTech

HarnessTech

Microsoft is sending me a replacement. I asked for a new one rather than a refurbished one but the guy I spoke to said there was no way for him to specify what I would get other than adding a note to the order

Yeah, good luck with that. That's the same thing "Mary" told me, but now she's completely ignoring me. I'm pissed.