What's new

So, is it now safe to install drivers and firmware updates?

dudester

Hi Surfasters, I have gone through the whole process of getting a new sp2 due to numerous issues resulting from the firmware update. So I'm wondering if its safe to install current available drivers and firmware? I have the stock factory drivers/ firmware. I know MS pulled the broken firmware but I'm once bitten, twice shy.

Last edited:

dgg4

Hi Surfasters, I have gone through the whole process of getting a sp2 due to numerous issues resulting from the firmware update. So I'm wondering if its safe to install current available drivers and firmware? I have the stock factory drivers/ firmware. I know MS pulled the broken firmware but I'm once bitten, twice shy.

Experiences here...
System Firmware Update - 12/10/13 fails to install - Microsoft Community
... says it's best not to install firmware yet....wait for a fix from the latest firmware issues.

Even though they've pulled the 12/10 firmware that caused all the current problems, the earlier firmware update that's now available doesn't fix all the problems. So folks who've fully reset their SP2's, or gotten replacement units, are not installing any firmware until a new firmware fix comes out.

Just an opinion...

OP
D

dudester

Yeah, that was my impression too, I'll hold back on the firmware but I assume most drivers and updates should be ok? There are some updates that are dated 12/10.. Just wondering if I should avoid getting anything released on that date.