What's new

SP3 I7 512GB charging heating issue

paovig00

Hi All,

I have my SP3 since a month now and I am really happy with it. I have just noticed that all the time I have my SP3 in charging and I am working on it, after few minutes it is getting very warm and fan start to be very laud. Is it normal SP3 is getting so hot while I am working and charging the battery in the same time?

young blade

What kind of work do you do? and what of programs and processes are running? and did your SP3 always behaved this way or did it start after an update or after you've installed a new program?

OP
P

paovig00

I am just surfing the web using chrome or skyping. If I am not charging the battery I do not have any kind of overheating.

young blade

There have been a lots of post regarding overheating while using chrome (fan spinning very fast). try using Internet Explorer and kill Chrome processes and see what happens.
The problem occurs due to way Chrome has been programed using a old style of programing.

Let us know what happens.

Genghis Khan

Or install updates and firmware upgrades as workaround the issues.

Microsoft quality control really sucks. It's getting to be like an open source item you have to configure to work. The let down, however, we paid a lot for it to work outright and it does not. And Microsoft can no longer be considered as kickstarter. They've been doing business for decades.

OP
P

paovig00

actually I have been trying without Chrome and things are going much better! It is getting a bit hot but not so much as before and it took a while before fan start working. Fan is not working constantly but is turning on and off when needs. So it seems chrome is not really efficient as we thought and now I am also understanding why fan of my old laptop was running constantly....thanks for the help!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
actually I have been trying without Chrome and things are going much better! It is getting a bit hot but not so much as before and it took a while before fan start working. Fan is not working constantly but is turning on and off when needs. So it seems chrome is not really efficient as we thought and now I am also understanding why fan of my old laptop was running constantly....thanks for the help!
I really think the EPA should crack down on Google for wasting energy. Think of the number of users with Chrome all sucking up power as if was Free and Unlimited. Googles carbon footprint ratio probably exceeds all others just on this one product by functional comparison. :)

Ossian

[Off Topic]
I have seen this issue with chrome mentioned a couple of times, and noticed it myself, but does it (or similar) apply to other browsers apart from IE?
(Recommendations for a good additional browser, please, for those sites that fail dismally when confronted with a high IE version)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
[Off Topic]
I have seen this issue with chrome mentioned a couple of times, and noticed it myself, but does it (or similar) apply to other browsers apart from IE?
(Recommendations for a good additional browser, please, for those sites that fail dismally when confronted with a high IE version)
I would first try Compatibility Mode, after that I would use Firefox over Chrome...

I converted from FireFox to Chrome when I got my SP3. As far as I know IE doesn't let you install extensions like FireFox and Chrome will and I need my bookmarks synced between my computers (including Android). I'd just die if I can't use Pushbullet :) I noticed the high CPU usage and learned that Chrome had a neat feature that allowed me to see the CPU and memory usage of each open window. I saw that Flash was really using my CPU and I installed Flashblock and then my CPU woes went away. Right now I have 15 Chrome windows open and my CPU is running about 15% with no fan going. I live in San Diego and it gets pretty warm in the afternoon (80's) and when ambient temperatures goes up, then the fan will run pretty consistently but softly.

cemian

just curious have any noticed the right side gets warm to hot when charging and in use...i believe this is where the battery is located....why would the battery heat up so much if it is the battery