What's new

spot the Surface!

Nuspieds

All these kinda make me cringe :(
Why? It's a good thing and it definitely has value.

With the recent change allowing US air carriers to allow small electronic devices to remain on, they have updated their pre-departure safety video/announcement. I was pleased to see that the airline I fly, United, included a Windows device during their video.

Just last night I was telling a friend about my experience replacing my PC while on the road. He asked what PC I was using these days and I told him the Surface. He responded, "Oh, I never heard of that."

That should definitely not be the case. If the public only ever sees one tablet--even if represented via a graphical icon only--then the vast majority will come to believe that there's only one tablet. Advertising and such product placements help to debunk that myth.

TunaSurface

Yes Nuspieds but these ads are awkwardly implemented to these scenes.
It doesn't look natural, there's this silent pause as the script just stops while the
characters take their surface, then their keyboard and snap them together.
Also the scenes are directed like an advertisement.

Nuspieds

It doesn't look natural, there's this silent pause as the script just stops while the
You're right in that the seamlessness of the implementation of a product placement will vary--there's no arguing that. But that's true for any device being product-placed.

For me, though, it's great to see the Surface being product-placed, period. Obviously you want it to be well-executed, just like a regular commercial, but then again, just like a regular commercial, some will be great, some with be blah, and some will be horrible (all depending on the viewer, of course).

TunaSurface

Spotted the Surface watching some Parks and recreation.

park-and-rec-2.jpg
(Picture not taken by me)

CrippsCorner

Exactly this, it makes me feel more embarrassed than anything. We rarely have product placement in the UK so we'd never see anything like this, and I'm thankful for that.

Either way, product placement is one thing... actually wanting to use a product is something completely different. I reckon 75% of computers on TV shows now are Apple, but they're never 'placed' there, it's just what people happen to be using. It doesn't seem forced at all, although it still annoys me! I'd much rather see a Surface being used naturally. Maybe one day :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Babylon was such a good show.... its coming to the US on Sundance, I watched on 4OD on my Xbox One :)

CrippsCorner

Great! Didn't know you could get 4oD over in the States. I've got one more episode to watch... it's good, but I'm also watching Homeland at the same time and Homeland completely blows it out the water.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Great! Didn't know you could get 4oD over in the States. I've got one more episode to watch... it's good, but I'm also watching Homeland at the same time and Homeland completely blows it out the water.
We can't....my Xbox is in the UK :)

ptrkhh

I wish they would put some in music videos as well, especially the fact that MS have acquired Nokia which as huge product placements in music videos.
I haven't seen one, just one, music video with a Surface in it