What's new

Surface impressions from a ling time Mac user

polbit

There are a few posts around but basically for new MS/Google sync setups you will not be able to get your contacts and calendar to sync. MS has posted advice that when setting up the sync you need to make sure calendars and contacts are not checked to be sync'd. For the moment, all you'll be able to get across is mail, and that may be on borrowed time.

I set up new outlook.com accounts, because to be honest, I'm fed up with Google. It's got too big for its boots and spitting the dummy and unilaterally cancelling sync services with MS was the last straw. Appreciate however that this isn't going to work for a lot of people who rely on Google.

To be fair, Google has to pay Microsoft a license fee for EAS, so it seems kind of funny that Google would pay Microsoft to let a customer set up an account on a Microsoft product. Google also has CardDAV and CalDAV as open-source solutions that Microsoft could implement. Having said all that, Google's move still stinks as too many of us are too dependent on Google services.

Sin

To be fair, Google has to pay Microsoft a license fee for EAS, so it seems kind of funny that Google would pay Microsoft to let a customer set up an account on a Microsoft product. Google also has CardDAV and CalDAV as open-source solutions that Microsoft could implement. Having said all that, Google's move still stinks as too many of us are too dependent on Google services.
Microsoft is working to implement CardDAV & CalDAV and really should have had this done before Google pulled their little stunt. I don't buy that Microsoft was surprised by it. They can't be that oblivious. Google pulled the plug and did so at their user's expense. I don't use CardDAV or CalDAV, and while they are inferior to EAS, I do hope that they are better than Google's implementation of IMAP, which is terrible.

protip

rrk2013, you asked about VPN connectivity. You may already know, but just in case, I wanted to point out that Windows has built-in PPTP and L2TP VPN connectivity. Just navigate to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network.

From there, select "Connect to a workplace."

The wording could be better. I've always thought they assumed far too much for the sake of simplicity. Of course, ONLY a workplace would use a VPN. So don't say "Connect to a VPN" but rather a "Workplace." But whatever.