What's new

Surface Screen Angle

Does the kickstand angle allow you to see and use the screen?

• Yes I can see and use the screen just fine.

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No the angle causes viewing and use issues and makes no sense.

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters
OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
ooh, ooh, ooh I know pick me! begins with M? Right? LOL

I too have not had ANY issues with the screen angle at 6' 1". The front cam is just right for Skype also. As far as on the couch I just fold the type cover back, pop out the kickstand and it sits just right for screen keyboard. This is at my desk at work and yes I know I happen to have "extra" shelf space LOL. But at home in the recliner it works so well.
View attachment 703

Well I see the Buell and a Ducati Monster but that is not the Miata ;) http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...st-pictures-your-surface-pro-8.html#post26549

Nuspieds

hmmmmmmm. I wonder who the only person who voted no on the screen angle is.... :big smile:
Well I still can't believe it! :)

I keep checking this poll throughout the day, yet the "No" number never budges! What gives?

With no obvious explanation, I am only left to go down the conspiracy theory route and can only conclude that JP must have done something or the other to make the results and comments skew as much has they have! :LOL:

Seriously, I am surprised because based on the comments I've read around the web, seems to me like if the kickstand is somewhat like the (missing) Start button.

Buelligan

Well I see the Buell and a Ducati Monster but that is not the Miata ;) http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...st-pictures-your-surface-pro-8.html#post26549

Yeah, Thanks to my racing and driving instruction I get to see, drive and ride in all kinds of cool ass cars! Unfortunately the Ford GTX1 was just a photo op! Hoping it would lead to a drive or at least a ride,but not yet. My favorite drives so far were a Nissan GTR and a Viper! BTW,the Ducati Monster is my wife's ride and she manages the OGRacing store in the paddock, lucky guy me is :wink:

N.G.

I voted no. The SP is a lap-travel computer for me. I use it primarily on the couch in a bright sunny room with the afternoon light coming over my shoulder. The fixed angle gives a long period where glare is an issue and a longer one for fingerprints. I designed a fix to the kickstand's lap instability, but the angle was a problem. The Lap 'n Go lap desk is a lot more comfortable and gives me a variety of angles.

tonyz3

i see we got another no-- no #1 must of opened a dummy account in order to have some credibility. :wink: in all honesty i wouldn't be mad and it wouldnt bother me if the kick stand was adjustable, however not at the cost of something else. Such as loosening of the adj hinge from use, etc ( see the archos 101 kickstand issues).

I probably split the time pretty evenly between using the Surface on my lap and on a desktop or table. On a desktop or table it's perfect. For lap use I need a lap desk, usually I use a notebook (the kind with paper in it, not another computer). Works good for me. I voted yes.

DOS

I had problems with the kickstand at first. I sat down at my desk, pushed my chair in so that my stomach touched the edge of the desk, then I put the Surface right in front of me so that the edge of the keyboard touched my stomach as well. It was absolutely terrible viewing!

But then, miraculously, I discovered the built-in adjustability of the kickstand. As I slowly moved the Surface away from me, the angle got better and better; until finally, I hit that "sweet" spot. What a clever design!

I think Microsoft should win an award for the best designed kickstand on the market. (Albeit, probably the only kickstand on the market.)

pallentx

Seriously, I am surprised because based on the comments I've read around the web, seems to me like if the kickstand is somewhat like the (missing) Start button.
An issue overblown by people on the internet who've never used a Surface, but totally fine for almost everyone who has?

Nuspieds

An issue overblown by people on the internet who've never used a Surface, but totally fine for almost everyone who has?
Well, I certainly do not doubt the owners' frustration with it, but to me I think Microsoft had to go with one angle that made the most sense and then leave the rest to after-market.

Even if they built the adjustable version, I would think that it would still have fixed/limited angles. I'd have to see a prototype/similar existing examples to be convinced because I, too, would be worried about it being able to stand up to all that kickstand usage. Furthermore, I would also think that the after-market products would offer more/different angles so that you could evaluate and choose the one that works best for you.

pallentx

I'm sure it is annoying if it doesn't work for you. I agree though, I like the approach they took. Its also the same basic approach Apple took with their smart covers. Technically, you get 2 angles with those, but its not adjustable.

mitchellvii

Well there's the answer, you are all short! I'm 6'5" and at normal typing distance I am looking down at the screen from the top. If you drew a perpendicular arrow from the middle of the screen straight out it would hit me somewhere around my neck using the kickstand.

Assuming you are built proportionality, roughly half your height is above your waste. That means if you are 5'10" (7 inches shorter than me), your eyes are about 4 inches lower than mine when sitting down. If I slouch 4 inches I can see the screen just fine.

Clearly the reason they choose the angle for the kickstand that they did is so that the beveled edge would sit flat on the table when using the keyboard. I get that, but they need to design with people over 6' in mind as well. Hey, don't feel bad, the Samsung ATIV 700T uses the same screen angle. Again, focused grouped by a bunch of short men, but I can forgive Samsung, they are in Korea.

Nevertheless I bought a very nice case that solves the problem. I don't like to carry my extremely fragile $1000 tablet around naked anyway. These don't bounce well at all.

** I wrote an email to MS and asked them to include two new settings in their next kickstand, 5'10" and Man. Heh.

Last edited:
OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Assuming you are built proportionality, roughly half your height is above your waste. That means if you are 5'10" (7 inches shorter than me), your eyes are about 4 inches lower than mine when sitting down. If I slouch 4 inches I can see the screen just fine.

I am assuming you are not proportionally built then. You either have short arms or a long torso/neck. Your arm span should be approximately your height which should put the Surface at the same relative distance and angle as a shorter person with shorter arms ;)

MrTall.gif

http://www.google.com/images?q=t+r...group&ei=HRyLUb6GLKKxiwLj-YCoBQ&ved=0CBgQsAQ

Last edited: