What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

OP
G

GoodBytes

Seems like norton doesn't like this freeware :( NIS keeps removing the exe file

I have contacted the affected A/V software companies, about the false positives, and they have seam to have corrected the problem.
As for Norton, it gets flag as "WS.Reputation.1". This means that Norton marks my software as dangerous and removes it, because it not popular enough.

I would strongly suggest another A/V solution. Beside Norton has never been good, overpriced and drops system performance, as you can confirm by doing your own research on it.

53 Anti-Virus scan results of Surface Tweak Took:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...a7ac634683837350063c553f38b31bcae5d/analysis/

Nfinity

Thank you for the excellent software, Goodbytes.

I have a couple of questions regarding the portrait pen calibration:

1) I noticed a user above mentioned issues when trying to calibrate in portrait landscape using the 273pt test, but found success using the 80pt calibration. Is the portrait calibration limited to 80pt?

2) I had already calibrated my SP2 in landscape before discovering your software. Will calibrating in portrait using your software have any effect on my previous landscape calibration?

Thanks in advance.

simonking

Hi! I am trying to create a custom resolution, but when I click the link for it, nothing happens.
Any thoughts why this might be the case? Do I need to manually install updated Intel drivers for this to work?
I've got a Surface Pro 2 with the slower CPU variant, and all Windows updates up-to-date.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Thank you for the excellent software, Goodbytes.

I have a couple of questions regarding the portrait pen calibration:

1) I noticed a user above mentioned issues when trying to calibrate in portrait landscape using the 273pt test, but found success using the 80pt calibration. Is the portrait calibration limited to 80pt?

2) I had already calibrated my SP2 in landscape before discovering your software. Will calibrating in portrait using your software have any effect on my previous landscape calibration?

Thanks in advance.

Currently Surface Tweak Tool only support 1 calibration. So you have to pick the orientation you use first, and calibrate it.
You may get away by first calibrating the pen that you want maximum precision with Surface Tweak Tool, and then once done, orient the device in the other orientation, and calibrate using Windows method.

All calibration mode in portrait mode should be working. However, I have no had time to test again 273point calibration option at this moment, but it is my todo list. Perhaps this week-end.
80 point calibration is the best method to calibrate any orientation, as it allows for interpolation to take place, for smooth and straighter lines from human error during the calibration process. The 80 point calibration was designed for Surface Pro 1 and 2 Wacom digitizer. The points are properly (well, the best I could) located, to place a point of correction when things get off hands from the digitizer. The 273 point calibration is something that was done by a person and spread over the Internet where it is designed to be a very generic calibration where it will would for any 1080p digitizer device. It doesn't allow interpolation, making that if teh calibration isn't perfect, it creates weavy lines as you draw them, and not fairly straight.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Hi! I am trying to create a custom resolution, but when I click the link for it, nothing happens.
Any thoughts why this might be the case? Do I need to manually install updated Intel drivers for this to work?
I've got a Surface Pro 2 with the slower CPU variant, and all Windows updates up-to-date.

You need to have the Intel Control Panel installed. It was installed with the Surface Pro 2, however Microsoft removed it in the latest firmware for some reason.
I should do a check for this.

Get the latest drivers form Intel web site (get the zip file, not exe, and extract them). Note that you'll need to remove the current drivers from Device Manager, restart your system, and then back from Device Manager, install the drivers from the extracted files, else it won't work. Once done, restart your system once again.

The latest firmware created 2 issues in addition of not having the Intel Control Panel
-> Reduce number of colors (put a gradient black to white, full screen, you'll see it won't be smooth)
-> Reduce the number of options in fine tuning the brightness level of the display.

So it is a real screw up from Intel part. Intel fixed it, with newer drivers, but Microsoft didn't get them, probably they were release during testing and validation of the firmware process, and the above was not looked at.

simonking

You need to have the Intel Control Panel installed. It was installed with the Surface Pro 2, however Microsoft removed it in the latest firmware for some reason.
I should do a check for this.

Get the latest drivers form Intel web site (get the zip file, not exe, and extract them). Note that you'll need to remove the current drivers from Device Manager, restart your system, and then back from Device Manager, install the drivers from the extracted files, else it won't work. Once done, restart your system once again.

The latest firmware created 2 issues in addition of not having the Intel Control Panel
-> Reduce number of colors (put a gradient black to white, full screen, you'll see it won't be smooth)
-> Reduce the number of options in fine tuning the brightness level of the display.

So it is a real screw up from Intel part. Intel fixed it, with newer drivers, but Microsoft didn't get them, probably they were release during testing and validation of the firmware process, and the above was not looked at.

Unfortunately it appears nowadays every upgrade is essentially a downgrade! :(

I was hoping to have to be able to do this without having to install any Intel driver. Things like automatic rotation, etc. got messed up if I recall correctly. Is there a way to manually edit the registry to force a particular resolution?

With the driver installed, I could use its own internal tool anyways to create the desired effect. I was hoping maybe you had hacked how to do it directly :)

OP
G

GoodBytes

Unfortunately it appears nowadays every upgrade is essentially a downgrade! :(

I was hoping to have to be able to do this without having to install any Intel driver. Things like automatic rotation, etc. got messed up if I recall correctly. Is there a way to manually edit the registry to force a particular resolution?

With the driver installed, I could use its own internal tool anyways to create the desired effect. I was hoping maybe you had hacked how to do it directly :)

I'll see what I can do. But I won't be able to do more than what Intel can do. And, well, the current drivers are busted in any case and needs fixing by getting the latest version.

simonking

Woohoo! This is what I get:

---------------------------
Error
The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit.
OK

Surface Pro 2 with the Slower CPU Variant - running Windows 8.1 Update 1 64 bit.

Any thoughts?

OP
G

GoodBytes

Woohoo! This is what I get:

Error
The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit.
OK

Surface Pro 2 with the Slower CPU Variant - running Windows 8.1 Update 1 64 bit.

Any thoughts?

Yes. You can't just run the driver setup on the Surface. I don't know why it's so problematic... its Intel.

Here is what you need to do (going by memory):
1- Save and Close all your stuff.
2- Go in Device Manager, then expand Display adapters.
3- Double click on the Intel graphics cards (the only item that will be listed under Display adapters).
4- A panel will open. On it, go under the Driver tab.
5- Click on the Uninstall Button
6- A message box will show asking you if you are sure you want to do this, and it will have a check box to delete the drivers software for this device. Check the box for Delete the driver software for this device, and click on OK
7- Your screen will flicker a moment, just stand by.
8- When it will finish the uninstall process, and the screen is back up, restart the system. I believe you'll be prompt to do so, in any case when done.
9- Once you started the system back up, immediately check for Windows Update (from the classic Windows Update panel). You will see the latest System Firmware appear again. Right-click on it, and select Hidden. You want to do this, else Windows will install it automatically, and that will re-install the old Intel drivers.
10- Once done, close Windows Update, and now go back to Device Manager
11- Expand Display adapters, and you should find an item of different name as before (possibly with the name: Generic graphics adapter), double click on it (it will be the only one under "Display adapter"), then go to the Driver tab, andclick on Update Driver
12- A wizard will pop up. Click on Browse my computer for driver software
13- Click on browse, and and select the location where you extracted the zip file of the drivers.
14- Click on Next, and follow the rest of the wizard. During installation, the screen may flicker.
15- Once done, restart your system, and you you should be up and running.

Lot's of steps (thank you Intel), but easy to do