What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

OP
G

GoodBytes

Go to Task Manager, Startup and make sure igfxTray Module is disabled
I have no Intel startup on mine.

But I found a fix, early today. Looking on the web, it affects all Intel GPU users with the new control panel that they released.
The fix is to set "Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service" service to manual.
Like this it kicks in when needed (when you open it), but doesn't startup with Windows on the back.

muitosabao

As long as it doesn't conflict with it (for example, turning an option off on the tweak tool shows it as on in control center), I'd just leave it in, especially since they pulled the recent firmware.

One thing the firmware did fix is the banding in images, I see no image degradation now.

It did not fix the banding for me!

muitosabao

I am getting "linearity calibration data is already present" when i try to calibrate! (after i click). Is it because i gave the feel driver installed? Is there a solution for this? I bought a new pen to replace the original, and it's really uncalibratd. Would be nice to be your software to do it.
Thanks!

xramz

Is there a chance of making it so we can calibrate the pen when we're using 1600x900?
I use this resolution because it makes everything a big easier to see and the device is easier to use when further away.
Would be awesome if I could calibrate the pen with the 308 point calibration
Cheers

OP
G

GoodBytes

The calibration points are not just random points on the screen. You need to track the distance, experiment, and see. Very time consuming.
The points on the screen aren't relative to the screen (that is how it works), so if the resolution is too low, it won't work. You'll getting an error.
I really don't have time to work on it at the moment, it's 'crunch time' at university. :(
So for the next couple of weeks I won't be able to touch it. But of course, once summer starts on my side, I'll be more free.

Alecafrus

Nice tool!!
I have used it to calibrate the stylus, and I run into some problems.
After resetting the current calibration, the DOS command windows opened and I got an error message saying, more or less, that the calibration units were wrong. I changed to the USA regional setting, just in case, but the problems persisted. Rebooting did not help. Then tried again, and instead of closing the configuration panel, a pressed "Aceptar" (= "accept"), and the calibration proceed.

I try to do it in vertical orientation. I read somewhere that the software is aware of the orientation, but it did not work. For me, it only works in landscape. So I put the Surface over a table, rotated it keeping horizontal, and did the calibration.

So far, the calibration seems to work for annotating pdf files.

Thank you very much for such a nice tool.

PD. On my tablet, the fonts are very small. I realized that the it can be resized on the right bottom corner, and it helps making it a bigger. I will be nice having a "full screen" control.

OP
G

GoodBytes

I had a bit of free time to improve the 60-point calibration further. It's now adjusted and 80 point calibration. I had no time for Wacom support despite what I mentioned previously (that it would be on this version).
Sorry guys. I am fairly pleased with the new 80 point calibration, so the moment I have a a bit free time I'll see for Wacom support.

New Version
-> Improved - Quick 60 point calibration has now been fine tuned further and is now a 80 point calibration.
-> New - Pen cursor on the screen now disappears during calibration process to provide an easier time to calibrating the pen.

Download: http://www.nvgpupro.com/surfacetweaktool/Surface_Tweak_Tool.zip
This is version 1.0.0.327

Wacom pen calibration support coming on the next version.

Calibration Tip
For the best calibration, take your time to target the pen at every point on the screen.
I also suggest to shift the pen on the screen to the right like so:
pen_calibration.png

for every target including the ones at the far right edge of the screen (the digitizer continues on the black area of the Surface Pro 2, so it will register the pen).

Let me know how the new 80-point calibration is working for you! :)

Ricochet90

I want to thank you for this tool, really helpful.

But I would want to know/request some things.

1st is that during the calibration the pen cursor not always disappears, and that seems to make the calibration a bit more inaccurate for me.

2nd is that after doing the 307 point calibration the center-bottom part of the screen seems a bit more inaccurate that the top part.

It would be possible to add some more points to the center (where the instructions appear during the calibration) and bottom (where the taskbar is).

That would give me near-perfect accuracy (that I need for my drawing).

Thanks.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Can't wait for the wacom support for calibration! :)
Yea, I'll definitely implement it. End of university semester is a bit too crazy for me to have proper time to work on it.

I want to thank you for this tool, really helpful.
Thank you.

1st is that during the calibration the pen cursor not always disappears, and that seems to make the calibration a bit more inaccurate for me.
I'll look into it. Thanks.

2nd is that after doing the 307 point calibration the center-bottom part of the screen seems a bit more inaccurate that the top part.

It would be possible to add some more points to the center (where the instructions appear during the calibration) and bottom (where the taskbar is).
I am actually at the max for number of points. I have to adjust the lines.
You should try the 80 point calibration. 308 point is based on the 273 point calibration, which I have modified to work edge to edge. The 308 focus is to take the 273 point calibration and make it work better on corners. The 273 point calibration was more of "calibration method for all tablets'

In other hand, the 80 point calibration is redone from scratch, done for the Surface Pro 2. I am personally having great results. You just need to do it the best you can right, else it will show that you are off, but if you can get it (maybe take 1 to 3 tries), you can have it impressively good. I am having no issue writing with it.

Give it a spin, if you can, 'cause you'll have to wait until late April or early May for a a new version of my software, most likely. And let me know. :)

OP
G

GoodBytes

I don't have a Surface Pro 1 to test it :)
So it may work... or may not. I can't provide any support or do any fixes as I don't have a Pro 1 to test.

Personally, I don't see why not it won't work, beside for the Intel integrated graphic options as it is for a different graphic solution model.

Last edited: