What's new

System Firmware update

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

Today, my SP3 received a system firmware update (15/1). It installed all fine etc. but I could not find any specifics about what this update was all about. Any ideas in case you folks have received it too?

Cheers!

rquellet

I just installed the update. No issues so far.

Update - here's the official changelog:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history
January 2015 updates
The following updates will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 1/15/2015” when you view your update history.
  • Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.450.0) adds support for updated HD Graphics Family driver.
  • HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3073.151) addresses connectivity issues while Hyper-V is enabled. Adds an advanced feature to control the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band preference.
  • Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1179.0) ensures compatibility with the Surface Hub app.
  • Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v1.31.35.7) improves the user experience while using the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that sound is available when a speaker is not connected to the docking station.

One of the new features is the ability to manually specify 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connections in the WiFi driver settings. See this post for more info:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/specify-2-4-or-5-ghz-wifi-bands-on-surface-pro-3.13762/

The Intel Graphics driver has been updated to version 10.18.14.4029 (11/18/2014 build). I think the previous graphics driver was pretty old - 10.18.10.3496 (3/7/2015 build), so this could provide a good boost in graphics performance/efficiency. I've been running the Intel reference graphics drivers for a while now anyway though.

Last edited:

dmillerzx

Epic fail, the Intel Driver Update apparently breaks the MWDA (Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter) MS's own miracast device. Just wow!

Confirmed works fine when rolling back driver 10.18.10.3496 or when using the latest from Intel 10.18.14.4080

Cask

Epic fail, the Intel Driver Update apparently breaks the MWDA (Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter) MS's own miracast device. Just wow!

Confirmed works fine when rolling back driver 10.18.10.3496 or when using the latest from Intel 10.18.14.4080

It works fine in mine I can project my screen to my Samsung TV without any problems after the update

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have a shocking improvement in WiFi speed using this firmware update, and Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879 on a Surface Pro 3 i7 512.

Also, my Microsoft Band now connects via Bluetooth to the Surface Pro 3. Expecting the app update to come soon.

Screenshot (268).png

mohcho

It works fine in mine I can project my screen to my Samsung TV without any problems after the update

I updated to firmware and it broke the MWDA for ALL the drivers I have on my SP3. I've reverted to the original drivers and no go.

This is kind of annoying with the MWDA. Works great with my phone, but not the SP3.

mohcho

I do have to admit that the wifi speeds are super fast now and they have FINALLY resolved the wifi hibernate problem. Yay.. fix a few things, break another.

agt499

In my case the HD Graphics update has now fixed Displaylink, which had been busted since about August. It was fixable with the drivers direct from Intel, but I was under the (misguided? correct?) impression that the MS-blessed version had (something) better optimised.
Seems a good update if you don't have a MWDA...