What's new

System Running High RAM

Buddn

Lately I have been having issues where my SP3 is using a crazy amount of RAM and when I open task manager, it is always 'System.' It drives me crazy because my fans kick on and my computer is really hot. It mostly happens when I have my SP3 in the dock and I'm using it more as a desktop computer. Does someone know what is up? Is it W10 or me using the dock? I have attached a screen shot of my task manager around the moment I noticed my fan going crazy.

Attachments

• Task Manager.PNG
    Task Manager.PNG
    75.8 KB · Views: 610
Mine is silent when idling while on the dock. Ram use is 1.7 GB out of 4 GB RAM with 8 Tabs on IE:

Capture.PNG

System is only 50 MB of RAM use

OP
B

Buddn

So strange. Could it be Edge that is causing it? I would close it but I'm in the middle of homework and can't close a window, guess I'll mess around a bit later.

leeshor

Could be Edge. It seems worse when Flash is installed. But as you can plainly see, it is taking up memory in several places on your list. Your Spotify isn't helping either.;)

Also, per your screenshot it seems that wudfsvc or Windows Driver Foundation – User-mode Driver Framework is what is causing your excessive CPU and Disk usage too.. I'd try a clean boot restart for sure.

OP
B

Buddn

Freak. Well I don't have time at the moment to do that and probably won't for a week or so. I just hope nothing is seriously wrong with my SP3 and it's just a rouge app or something.....

leeshor

Something frequently overlooked is the possibility of file or cache corruptions. Try a chkdsk /f at an elevated command prompt.

Mikaoj74

Something frequently overlooked is the possibility of file or cache corruptions. Try a chkdsk /f at an elevated command prompt.

Kudos!

Thanks a lot, this actually fixed the problem on my SP3! This also doubled the battery life (reported about 3 hours of usage from a full battery - now it says 7 hours from a 85%-battery.

(The event log shows - among a lot other stuff - this:
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 4244 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4244 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4244 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
43951 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.)

jackadision

Adjust your Windows 10 for the best performance
  • Right click on “Computer” icon and select “Properties”
  • Select “Advanced System settings”
  • Go to the “System properties”
  • Select “Settings”
  • Choose “Adjust for best performance” and “Apply”.
  • Click “OK” and Restart your computer.

Last edited by a moderator: