What's new

Working on Metro and Desktop simultaneously - A question

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

I wonder if you can clear up one point for me.

Here is a situation that I found myself in today. First, I should say that I was working with a two-monitor set-up - my laptop screen and an external monitor where the former is set as the default monitor. I was working on a web-based form, which I accessed using IE10 on the Metro interface. While filling up the form, I needed to refer to a PDF document, which is saved on my Skydrive. So, I accessed Skydrive from the Metro interface. Now, the PDF file opened with the default PDF reader. But as soon as the PDF document was open, I was immediately thrown into Desktop mode - on both screens. Initially, the PDF document opened on the external monitor. So, I dragged it to the laptop monitor and attempted to go back to the webpage that I was working on. I could see the Metro version of IE10 open on the left-hand edge of the screen. But when I clicked on it to work on the form, the PDF file disappeared. I just could not have both documents open on both screens at the same time. So, what was I doing wrong?

Thanks

Edit: Maybe a simpler way to ask the question would be as follows: Can I work on the Metro AND Desktop interface at the same time? In other words, can I have a Metro app open on one screen and a Desktop app open on the other screen at the same time?

Last edited:

drowe

The short answer to your question, is no. If you want to work in metro, you can have one full screen or two in a split screen on a single monitor. Your second one better have some pretty wallpaper because that is all it is good for. As soon as you click on a desktop program, the metro goes away. One of the main reasons I stay away from metro as much as possible.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The short answer to your question, is no. If you want to work in metro, you can have one full screen or two in a split screen on a single monitor. Your second one better have some pretty wallpaper because that is all it is good for. As soon as you click on a desktop program, the metro goes away. One of the main reasons I stay away from metro as much as possible.

Hmmm...thanks. That's kind of awkward...not being able to work on Metro AND the Desktop at the same time. So, if I am understanding you correctly, Metro does not allow the use of two screens simultaneously?

tonyz3

WP_20130313_001.jpgI might have lost the point here somewhere, but I have no issue doing this. I have two monitors set up and leave the SP black, so basically the 2 mon are extensions and the left is the main display. But I can have a metro on left and have the desktop on rt monitor or metro snapped on one with DT the other 2/3 of that screen and than DT completely on the rt one. But you should be able to have metro on your laptop and desktop on the monitor - your set up.

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Hmmm...even more interesting! Thanks for the screen shots. But can you try the scenario I set out with the PDF file and a webpage (using the Metro version of IE10). I've been trying this and I am not sure why this is not working. But, having said that, my current situation is like this - on my main screen (laptop) I have the desktop open with a program running. On the monitor I have IE 10 (Metro version) open and I am typing this post in it! How can that be possible? So, the next question - can you have two Metro apps open at the same time? I just tried it - Mail app and IE10 (both Metro) - and it does not work. So, does this mean that I can't have two Metro apps open at the same time on two different monitors? I thought I could, but I could be wrong.

J515OP

Super Moderator
While trying to find an answer to my question, I came across this: Windows 8 ? Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users which makes for an interesting read.

This is kind of an old article. I couldn't read past this:

One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed " Microsoft Window."

Really? Windows 8 experienced users and power users couldn't figure out multiple Windows or how to use split screen in Modern UI?

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...on/390-post-screenshots-here-4.html#post14352

You can even do this by accident.

J515OP

Super Moderator
So, does this mean that I can't have two Metro apps open at the same time on two different monitors? I thought I could, but I could be wrong.

I believe this is the root of the problem you are getting at. The only way to have more than one metro app open is to use split screen in the Modern UI portion. You will have to wait for the update to get a 50/50 split. You might want to try try the Toolbox app which lets you split up the Modern UI screen in more ways now.

Toolbox for Windows 8 app for Windows in the Windows Store

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I believe this is the root of the problem you are getting at. The only way to have more than one metro app open is to use split screen in the Modern UI portion. You will have to wait for the update to get a 50/50 split. You might want to try try the Toolbox app which lets you split up the Modern UI screen in more ways now.

Toolbox for Windows 8 app for Windows in the Windows Store

Thanks. This will work - to the extent that it does - on the RT. I'm afraid, I will have to wait for the Win 8 update (allegedly to come with Blue) for the split screen stuff. In the meantime, I guess going to the Desktop for that kind of stuff will have to suffice - though I accept that - surprisingly enough - I do like the Metro version of IE10!!!!

tonyz3

AS J5150P stated -I can have two metro apps snapped on the same monitor and than the desktop on the other without issue but cant have one metro snapped or not snapped on both monitors- they have to be on the same mon. Hopefully this gets corrected. I am sure it will. But first they have to use all their resources to correct M's issues with the kickstand and the pen clip. :wink:

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

AS J5150P stated -I can have two metro apps snapped on the same monitor and than the desktop on the other without issue but cant have one metro snapped or not snapped on both monitors- they have to be on the same mon. Hopefully this gets corrected. I am sure it will. But first they have to use all their resources to correct M's issues with the kickstand and the pen clip. :wink:

Lol! Right! Kickstand and the Pen with a liberal dose of adhesive are indeed infinitely more important that working with multiple apps etc.! Knowing MS, they really may have those kinds of priorities! Let's hope better sense prevails!