What's new

Windows 10...not impressed.

Feoen

I love Windows 10 on my desktop computer, but it has been nothing but a headache for me on my Surface Pro 3:

1. Going "back" is the biggest PITA in W10. Edge removed the ability to swipe Left or Right to go Back/Forward like IE in 8.1. Going "back" in any application in W10 requires moving your left hand to the bottom of the screen in a place that is completely un-ergonomic on the task bar.

2. Speaking of the task bar, it's completely broken in Tablet Mode on the SP3. Half the time, it does not render properly causing it to be cut off on the side, no matter whether I'm holding the SP3 vertically or horizontally. (you can see this with the clock being cut off) There is also no way to hide the task bar in Tablet Mode, and full screen applications DO NOT render with the task bar in mind. So trying to get to the Options menu in either the new Email or Calendar apps? Impossible, because the task bar is blocking it.

3. My SP3 forgot I ever used OneDrive after I upgraded to W10. Even though I had all my files on my D drive (the microSD card), clicking on the OneDrive list in Explorer gave a "Welcome to OneDrive" dialogue box. When I tried to set it to locate my OneDrive folder on the D drive, it didn't recognize it. When I tried to set up a new OneDrive by setting it to my D drive, it said I am unable to set it to D drive without giving me a reason. I said, ok, fine, I'll set it to my C drive and then change it later. It asked which folders I wanted to sync, so I had it sync just one folder of 200 MB. Despite that, it decided to sync all 23 GB of my OneDrive to my C drive on my SP3. I mean, really?

4. Tried to revert to 8.1. "Recovery media cannot be found. Please insert recovery disk and try again." Hello, I'm staring at my recovery partition right now...

Very frustrated, and stuck on W10! How awful.

OP
R

rjwerth

So far... using W10 on a laptop... I no likey ... maybe it will grow on me like a fungus or maybe not. I don't think so.

This is the first mail app I have encountered that I might actually refuse to use.

Not liking the New Windows Update so far... maybe if I can find some tweaks... I finally found where to check for updates... it just installed them no questions asked or indicate what was available.

There's nothing about the design I like, I think it was made for Phones... I guess they are telling us computers ARE dead.

28 days to decide if I'll keep it. it was worth every penny.

Couldn't agree more. The Mail app is a huge step backwards from an already half-ass mail client from 8.1. It doesn't even tell you how many unread emails there are in each mail account when you look at your list of accounts...

leeshor

So far... using W10 on a laptop... I no likey ... maybe it will grow on me like a fungus or maybe not. I don't think so.

This is the first mail app I have encountered that I might actually refuse to use.

Not liking the New Windows Update so far... maybe if I can find some tweaks... I finally found where to check for updates... it just installed them no questions asked or indicate what was available.

There's nothing about the design I like, I think it was made for Phones... I guess they are telling us computers ARE dead.

28 days to decide if I'll keep it. it was worth every penny.
There is a tweak you can make to the group policy that will bring back the update options, like they used to be. https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/
If that helps.

Deihmos

I am going to roll my surface back to windows 8.1. It is much better on a tablet if you ask me. I updated my laptop to Windows 10.

Chuck_IV

Yep, I am rolling back as we speak. I have Windows 10 on my desktop PC and love it, but that tablet mode is so inefficient in so many ways, when compared to 8.1.

I'll monitor the progress of updates to see if MS gets their you know what together with regard to the tablet mode and I'll reevaluate going back to 10 down the road.

Feoen,
Interesting. It took me all of about 5 minutes to restore.

Last edited:
So after trying Microsoft Edge for 3 days in a row, I found that that it's one of the worst browser that MS released. It's worse than Chrome in CPU and RAM hogging! My fans never stopped spinning when that I'm using that POS Edge browser. Now I'm currently typing this on the desktop IE in tablet mode and I so badly want my MetroIE back. Whoever thought to get rid of Metro IE in Windows 10 should get fired!. Windows 8.1 is still more efficient in an actual tablet use mode (running 90-100% modern apps as opposed to desktop programs) because 8.1 actually suspends those apps when not in the foreground while Windows 10 keeps running them in the background, consuming CPU usage (I'm looking at that POS Edge browser that sucks up almost one full core of my Sp3 i5 on the background while running other apps in tablet mode) Now I figured why in Windows 8, I idle at consistent 0% CPU @ 0.75GHz while Windows 10 rarely idles at 0% usage and almost all the time @ 1-5% use @ 0.8 - 1.2GHz, which pretty much kills 30-1 hour of battery life cumulatively.

Chuck_IV

So after trying Microsoft Edge for 3 days in a row, I found that that it's one of the worst browser that MS released. It's worse than Chrome in CPU and RAM hogging! My fans never stopped spinning when that I'm using that POS Edge browser. Now I'm currently typing this on the desktop IE in tablet mode and I so badly want my MetroIE back. Whoever thought to get rid of Metro IE in Windows 10 should get fired!. Windows 8.1 is still more efficient in an actual tablet use mode (running 90-100% modern apps as opposed to desktop programs) because 8.1 actually suspends those apps when not in the foreground while Windows 10 keeps running them in the background, consuming CPU usage (I'm looking at that POS Edge browser that sucks up almost one full core of my Sp3 i5 on the background while running other apps in tablet mode) Now I figured why in Windows 8, I idle at consistent 0% CPU @ 0.75GHz while Windows 10 rarely idles at 0% usage and almost all the time @ 1-5% use @ 0.8 - 1.2GHz, which pretty much kills 30-1 hour of battery life cumulatively.

Yep, I saw this as well. My battery usage was pretty bad with Windows 10(especially when in standby) mainly because I think all those apps that I opened, didn't seem like they were being suspended like in 8.1. If I turned off the table mode, I'd come back to several of the apps, windowed, that I was using prior, still sucking up resources and battery.

Last edited:
Imagine on connected standby your SP3 is consuming this much resources:

Edge
Screenshot%20(5).png

Internet Explorer desktop :

Screenshot%20(4).png

FYI desktop apps are completely suspended on connected standby while Metro Apps like Edge aren't!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Once I implemented system wide Ad Blocking my Edge CPU/memory usage decreased by 60 to 80%