What's new

Windows 10...not impressed.

rjwerth

Ok, I know. I'm going to be THAT guy. Got my Surface Pro 3 upgraded to Windows 10 and so far, I'm not impressed. It's Windows 8.1 with a more flexible start menu. System settings are still spread out over two different interfaces (really????) Edge doesn't import anything from Firefox automagically so I'm still using that for now. Most help searches give me results for Win 8.1 even when I specify Windows 10. System keeps asking me for my password after sleep even though I have that off in 2 different places (yeah...you have to turn it off in two completely different places....).

You get the idea. No love from me.

Johnny365

I love it. Never liked the separate Metro UI and it was pointless. Having it integrated into the Start menu was ingenious. I never used 8.1 much, as I came from Windows 7 for the last 5 years.

macmee

I like it all except that it keeps asking for my password when I turn it on even though I set it in 2 spots in settings not to.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I know. I'm going to be THAT guy. Got my Surface Pro 3 upgraded to Windows 10 and so far, I'm not impressed. ...

I liked this because this is how we progress. Opinions pro and con, respectfully expressed, will better the product.

Compusmurf

I believe the suggestions app is installed on all win 10, feel free to comment your dislikes and bugs to Microsoft. They'll never hear you, unless you speak up.

HarnessTech

System settings are still spread out over two different interfaces (really????)
That is one point that irritates me as well. I do like Windows 10 a lot, but these competing interfaces irritated me in W8. I was hoping the Control Panel would be integrated into the new Settings interface in W10, but apparently it is not to be.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 2 settings thing is indeed something I thought they'd be rid of by this point. It's almost like it's an intentional dumb-settings and smart-settings. Anything average joe would want to change can largely be found in the new settings screen, yet if you want to do something advanced, it takes you to the old style control panel. The same kind of story as Edge (If you want to change settings, you essentially can't, there are about ten options, so any actual control over your browser then please report to IE.

kristalsoldier

The 2 settings thing is indeed something I thought they'd be rid of by this point. It's almost like it's an intentional dumb-settings and smart-settings. Anything average joe would want to change can largely be found in the new settings screen, yet if you want to do something advanced, it takes you to the old style control panel. The same kind of story as Edge (If you want to change settings, you essentially can't, there are about ten options, so any actual control over your browser then please report to IE.

So, does this mean that if I apply the privacy lists in IE, they should also work on Edge? That has not been my experience though - unless I am doing something wrong, which is perhaps very likely.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, does this mean that if I apply the privacy lists in IE, they should also work on Edge? That has not been my experience though - unless I am doing something wrong, which is perhaps very likely.

What I meant was more just in terms of it seeming that that W10 features, such as Edge and the MUI style settings, are both seemingly idiot proof, but instead of just having true advanced options, anything advanced just ends up having to be done through legacy software (IE, control panel)

kristalsoldier

What I meant was more just in terms of it seeming that that W10 features, such as Edge and the MUI style settings, are both seemingly idiot proof, but instead of just having true advanced options, anything advanced just ends up having to be done through legacy software (IE, control panel)

OK...got you! Thanks. But I wanted to also ask: Does this mean that the tracking lists that we apply as add-ons in IE11 (as in 8.1) will not work with Edge at the moment?