What's new

Would you convert to an iPad Pro and replace your SP3?

Would you convert to an iPad Pro in place of your SP3?

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 96.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This debate is so stale....the App Generation is on entrenched with idea that Mobile Apps are the only way to interact. The argument that Bluetooth Speakers only work with modified power plans is a red herring, Xbox Music works even under Connected Standby to Bluetooth Speakers, do it all the time, the awful Mail App is basically same mobile app on Windows and will be exactly the same app under Windows 10.

My L1520 and my SP3 does everything I need it to do, I can tether for mobile internet.

This becomes a religious debate, iOS users have been convinced that Apps are the only way to use a tablet. This debate will not have any winners....

Oh, the poll shows 31 to 1.....

dstrauss

Audible doesn't currently sync using the Windows 8 app....

The answer has been given many, many times....

None of the replies answer my fundamental question of why the SPro 3 is a "mediocre tablet." The fact that is missing some of your favorite "apps" or does things different than you prefer is YOUR preference, and not a subjective defense of claims it is an inferior tablet. It is in fact equal to, if not superior, to all of the iPads through the iPad 4. The Air's have size and battery advantages, but you can do EVERYTHING on it that you can on an iPad, just not necessarily with the apps you prefer. And you don't sacrifice anything on the desktop side.

I'm sorry for being so harsh (and a bit judgmental) but these are all just defenses of your preferred platform, and that truly is fine, but I am so tired of the put downs on the SPro 3 as a tablet. I stand by Mr. Pogue - I have no answer for the claim the Surface Pro 3 is just not "iPaddy".

bmack

Well the rumours of the iPad Pro are that it will run a hybrid of OSX and iOS, which is where the Pro name comes from. Of course I am not comparing a regular iPad to the SP3 as they are completely different. But the iPad Pro is supposed to come with detachable keyboard etc to rival the SP3. We don't know if the rumours are true, but the iPad Pro is rumoured to be more than a tablet.

My main issue with SP3 is apps - the main apps I use are Youtube, Google Maps, Gmail app (or any other decent mail app), banking apps, BBC News, Spotify etc. There are third party alternatives but they don't work as well as the first party apps and that is where the issue lies for me.

More people who buy the SP3 and other Windows phones/tablets will mean more apps, but likelihood isn't great against Apple and Android.

I think Asus were planning a combined Windows/Android laptop/tablet but were not allowed to do so - if this was possible, it would also solve a lot of issues.

Sorry about that, I thought it would be coming with iOS. I would really be interested in seeing what this turns out like. Pretty sure I wouldn't switch. But still very interested. Thanks for sharing that info and I agree with you some apps like YouTube and Google Maps are very missed.

zhenya

The argument that Bluetooth Speakers only work with modified power plans is a red herring, Xbox Music works even under Connected Standby to Bluetooth Speakers, do it all the time

Yes, I'm well aware that the one app that nobody actually uses can do this. That's exactly the problem.

Oh, and this member of the 'app generation' began computing in 1982...

Last edited:

zhenya

None of the replies answer my fundamental question of why the SPro 3 is a "mediocre tablet." The fact that is missing some of your favorite "apps" or does things different than you prefer is YOUR preference, and not a subjective defense of claims it is an inferior tablet. It is in fact equal to, if not superior, to all of the iPads through the iPad 4. The Air's have size and battery advantages, but you can do EVERYTHING on it that you can on an iPad, just not necessarily with the apps you prefer. And you don't sacrifice anything on the desktop side.

I'm sorry for being so harsh (and a bit judgmental) but these are all just defenses of your preferred platform, and that truly is fine, but I am so tired of the put downs on the SPro 3 as a tablet. I stand by Mr. Pogue - I have no answer for the claim the Surface Pro 3 is just not "iPaddy".

You responded to my list of actual things that SP can't do that iOS can as 'user preference.' Sorry. That doesn't get you very far. Especially when the favorite defense here is to point out all the things the iPad can't do that the Surface can.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I'm well aware that the one app that nobody actually uses can do this. That's exactly the problem.

Oh, and this member of the 'app generation' began computing in 1982...
Actually any Media that is properly coded using the correct WinRT API and Contract will work, there are multiple media apps that work in Connected Standby. The App Generation is not an age but a state of mine introduced in 2009....

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

This debate is so stale....the App Generation is on entrenched with idea that Mobile Apps are the only way to interact. The argument that Bluetooth Speakers only work with modified power plans is a red herring, Xbox Music works even under Connected Standby to Bluetooth Speakers, do it all the time, the awful Mail App is basically same mobile app on Windows and will be exactly the same app under Windows 10.

My L1520 and my SP3 does everything I need it to do, I can tether for mobile internet.

This becomes a religious debate, iOS users have been convinced that Apps are the only way to use a tablet. This debate will not have any winners....

Oh, the poll shows 31 to 1.....

Apps are currently the best way to interact on a tablet as they have been fully developed for touch screen control from the ground up. Desktop programs have not been designed in such a way, which is why they can often be fiddly to use imo.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Apps are currently the best way to interact on a tablet as they have been fully developed for touch screen control from the ground up. Desktop programs have not been designed in such a way, which is why they can often be fiddly to use imo.
Win32 vs. Mobile Apps aren't the only way to interact with a tablet, a fully functional app and websites that support the latest W3C Standards are very Touch Friendly, as far as Apps, the Microsoft Ecosystem has most of the top 100 and for me and most of the respondents of your poll the SP3 does everything they need...now 32 to 1.....

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Yeah I'm surprised about how much of a landslide the no has actually :p

Very happy bunnies here - as am I. I would still consider an iPad Pro though ;)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Love apples and oranges.
But for this question, I want to be able to create files, put them in folders, rename them, duplicate them, edit them, send them here or there, and be in control.

I don't want apps to drive me. I want to drive programs and apps.
I still use my two MacBooks. But not as often as the Surface Pro 3.

SteveMac

Having lived on both sides of the Windows & OSX fence, my preference for desktop is Windows. Main reason is the windowing in OSX is odd, things can go missing (for example a second browser window, that doesn't show in expose or anywhere else other than the window menu), also the top menu bar and bottom dock waste space (on already cramped 11" and 13" devices).

My iPad is now relegated to lean back usage, where I'm on the couch, in bed, on a flight.....reading RSS/Magazines or watching shows.

iPad Pro, running some kind of OSX variant would not deliver the Windows desktop experience that most people still require, especially in professional industries. Office on OSX is unusable, Office on iOS is great for simple things, and for most of us anything other than Outlook for e-mail/calendar/contacts introduces far too much friction to justify the effort. Running native OSX or iOS for mail/calendar/contacts is a pathway to disaster with mail.app on OSX having database corruption issues, messages not deleting issues, messages not arriving issues and a general lack of co-coherence of integrated calendaring that you get with Outlook.

I know it can work, however I believe the friction added isn't worth the benefits of amazing hardware and second to none post sales support.

kevinlevrone

I think that if an iPad Pro will be launched, it is a possibility that it will be launched with an Intel x86-64 processor. So the computing power will be there. The other step that Apple needs to make is to merge OSX and iOS. I think this will happen (in one form or another) in the next 3-4 years. Only after this Apple will have a true business platform suitable for touch input.