What's new

Surface Pro 3 Trade-in Program?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the Surface Pro 2, it is not worth it upgrading to the Pro 3.
- The CPU is the same. (or Y series, as it apparently support connected standby, and I think only the Y series supports it, so it will be a slower CPU)
- The higher resolution means you'll need to use high-DPI settings, which means that most programs will appear blurry as they don't support high DPI. I expect the major programs to support high-DPI by the time the Pro 4 comes out, which is also means new Intel CPU.
- The pen looks like its N-Trig, while it is amazing where you don't need to calibrate it, it only support 256-pressure compared to 1024, and no programs supports it for pressure sensitivity tracking, beside Office, and Windows 8 Apps. Photoshop will support Windows 8 Ink APIs which will make it support. Oh, and you need a battery, and don't have the eraser feature, it's a side button I think.

The Pro 4 should be out soon, with the 5th generation CPU, I believe, or soon afterward.

Actually it is using the "U" Variant, MS and Intel collaborated and creating a SoC to support S0iX on the "U". N-Trig released a 64bit WinTab driver a couple of months ago.

SurfacePro3 CPUs.JPG

kevinlevrone

The CPU is the same. (or Y series, as it apparently support connected standby, and I think only the Y series supports it, so it will be a slower CPU).

Nope, it is the same 4300U for the i5, and 4650U for the i7. Do you really think they would be so stupid as to include an Y-series over the current ?

The higher resolution means you'll need to use high-DPI settings, which means that most programs will appear blurry as they don't support high DPI. I expect the major programs to support high-DPI by the time the Pro 4 comes out, which is also means new Intel CPU.

Nope, the dpi is only 6% higher than SP2. Things basically look the same as on SP2.

The pen looks like its N-Trig, while it is amazing where you don't need to calibrate it, it only support 256-pressure compared to 1024, and no programs supports it for pressure sensitivity tracking, beside Office, and Windows 8 Apps. Photoshop will support Windows 8 Ink APIs which will make it support. Oh, and you need a battery, and don't have the eraser feature, it's a side button I think.

It looked damn amazing when he demonstrated it. No delays and parallax like the current pen. But I don't use a pen anyway.

The Pro 4 should be out soon, with the 5th generation CPU, I believe, or soon afterward.

I think the Broadwell will be a silent refresh like the 4200U to 4300U, I (mostly) believe. I can understand screwing the existing customers once, but not twice.

macmee

macmee

So hand on.. Connected standby is only the Core i3 model? Or Microsoft has a special build of these CPU's with Connected standby?

I would only consider getting a SP3 sporting the i7 if it was more powerful than my 2010 iMac's CPU. The SP3 has a mobile i7 though, and the Intel HD 5000 is also quite lame. People say Apple overprice their products (and they do) but IMO $1,600 for these specs given how unfortunately large the SP3 is seems quite disappointing to me. I thought the appeal of the SP2 was it's small size. Now that Surfaces are larger we might as well save money and just buy a laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So hand on.. Connected standby is only the Core i3 model? Or Microsoft has a special build of these CPU's with Connected standby?

Only the Core i5 was available yesterday at the launch and it showed S0iX Compliant so like I said Intel and MS did something that was slated for Broadwell - S0iX "U" Variants...

godson594

I learned my lesson buying anything on launch from Microsoft anyways... I would wait this out till end of the year i'm pretty sure they will refresh the SP3 with broadwell at some point it would fall in line with their 6 month turn around time on new product. Besides who knows how many problems they are going to introduce with this new screen + Ntrig.

godson594

What makes you think you're so special you're entitled to special treatment. Microsoft provided you with a product and you paid for it. If that product works as promised that is the end of the conversation. Entitlement is lame.

Funny you say this... I recognize a few of these names in this thread who have ALL had issues with their SP2 that required replacements... So yea, don't expect anyone to like being called "lame" when the product they purchased has been riddled with problems big & small.

Example - I'm on my THIRD SP2 because of a creaky screen and guess what? SP2 number 3 is starting to do the same thing... There's a tiny thought in the back of my head that says hell maybe this SP3 won't have this issue and I wish I would have waited so I didn't waste my time with the headache that I call the SP2.

On the other hand if I could get my money back I wouldn't bother with the surface family anymore. The amount of annoying hardware and software problems that I have seen makes me wish I would have went with a different device.

GoodBytes

I learned my lesson buying anything on launch from Microsoft anyways... I would wait this out till end of the year i'm pretty sure they will refresh the SP3 with broadwell at some point it would fall in line with their 6 month turn around time on new product. Besides who knows how many problems they are going to introduce with this new screen + Ntrig.

There is always going to be better. You need to buy what YOU NEED.
The advantage of buying what you need are:
-> If a new model comes out, you don't care, 'cause your current device does what you need perfectly.
-> You have what you need, and not wait indefinitely.

GoodBytes

I would only consider getting a SP3 sporting the i7 if it was more powerful than my 2010 iMac's CPU. The SP3 has a mobile i7 though, and the Intel HD 5000 is also quite lame. People say Apple overprice their products (and they do) but IMO $1,600 for these specs given how unfortunately large the SP3 is seems quite disappointing to me. I thought the appeal of the SP2 was it's small size. Now that Surfaces are larger we might as well save money and just buy a laptop.

Well a laptop can't do all what the SP3 can do, but beside that I agree.
What I am disappointed is the single USB port. Microsoft got a free pass from the SP1ma d2 as there was genuinely no space for it. Now there is. So, it is unacceptable.

Here is what I expect from the SP4:
-> more scratch resistant glass, to a level where you don't need a screen protector.
-> much reduce reflection (new kind of glass)
-> 2x USB 3.0 ports, or 3.1 if that comes out
-> Return of the magnetic connector, which has been removed from the SP3
-> 5th gen Core i series CPU.

sashlon

Funny you say this... I recognize a few of these names in this thread who have ALL had issues with their SP2 that required replacements... So yea, don't expect anyone to like being called "lame" when the product they purchased has been riddled with problems big & small.

Example - I'm on my THIRD SP2 because of a creaky screen and guess what? SP2 number 3 is starting to do the same thing... There's a tiny thought in the back of my head that says hell maybe this SP3 won't have this issue and I wish I would have waited so I didn't waste my time with the headache that I call the SP2.

On the other hand if I could get my money back I wouldn't bother with the surface family anymore. The amount of annoying hardware and software problems that I have seen makes me wish I would have went with a different device.

I didn't call anyone lame. I said entitlement is lame.

If your device doesn't work properly, use your warranty. Of course you should get what you paid for. But the idea that we're somehow owed special treatment because we are Surface owners is childish. Products get refreshed and replaced all the time. I have a first gen Pro. I'm not mad about Pro 3 or Pro 2, why would I be?