What's new

128GB MicroSD card keeps unmounting/crashing

k_ozz

I have this issue with a 128gb PNY card, but not a 64gb samsung card. The PNY card works fine in my desktop with the adaptor...so I am at a loss

DLCPhoto

I have this issue with a 128gb PNY card, but not a 64gb samsung card. The PNY card works fine in my desktop with the adaptor...so I am at a loss

I've been reading quite a bit on this, and it seems like this is a random occurrence. People have reported it with Lexar, Sandisk, Samsung alike. It seems to be more 128gb cards, but some have it with 64gb ones as well.

It seems you have at least a few options:

1. Have the PNY card replaced with a new sample of the same card, in case there is a defect in the card itself. If the new one works, then it's likely you did have a defective one. If it doesn't, then either they're both defective (unlikely but possible), or there's something funky in that card design itself.

2. Return the PNY and try a different one. In my case, the Lexar 633x UHS-I/U3, one of the faster ones available, exhibited this problem. I was impatient, and didn't want to replace it via Amazon, and Best Buy locally had the Sandisk Ultra 48x 128gb card in stock. The Sandisk is working fine for me so far, so I returned the Lexar to Amazon for a refund.

3. If there's a Microsoft Store locally, try the card in one of their units, and see if you can get it to dismount. If it doesn't, then perhaps there's something wrong with your particular Surface 3 (hardware more likely, software possible). I think this is the least likely scenario, but possible.

Keep us posted.

ilv2mtb

I am having the same issue with the Lexar -- I received the card earlier this week. I have had my S3 since 5/5 and was originally using a Sandisk 128GB card. The Sandisk had disappeared a once or twice, but I did not think much of it.

I have an Asus Note 8 -- looks like I need to try out the Lexar in it for a little while to determine if the issue is with the Lexar card or perhaps using the Lexar card in the S3.

Otherwise, have been happy with the S3...

OP
M

mkenny28

So I tried two Lexars, another Samsung, and three SanDisks and the very last SanDisk 128gb card was the charm. I have no idea why it took so many cards but it hasn't disappeared once. I have tested every single card extensively and they all work perfectly in all my Android devices and my Yoga 2 pro. strange but now it works flawlessly. Now if i can just get rid of the occasional audio crackle....

k_ozz

So I got a Samsung 128gb the other day, and it did it once I have since formated it NTFS removing the little partition that they have and it has worked since....